AR3a woofer

Guest dogmeninreno

Guest dogmeninreno

This 12" woofer was damaged in shipment. It seems to seal fine and there is no voice coil rubbing and it seems to work fine on a sweep generator in and out of the enclosure. Would you guys use it or scrap it? Thanks, Dale

post-100406-1079376386.jpg

Guest audioslave

By your picture it looks as though the mounting ring was bent. If that's the case I'd say keep it. I've had similar shipping damage as well. In some cases, tightening it down in the cabinet will reshape it. In more extreme cases I've sandwiched the bent section with small scraps of wood and clamped it together with a 36" "f" clamp, then used the clamp to the bend it back into place. A pair of pliers or some vice grips works well on the outer section.

Jeff

Guest SteveG

Dale,

You would probably be best to use it as is, because you say it is sealing fine. The bent portion id "between" 2 bolt holes. Thus, bolting it into an enclosure will not put any pressure on the bent part or straighten it out. In addition, the angle bend between 2 holes will actually be very rigid from this point forward, like an L beam. Just not pretty.

You can of course try to bend it back, but this would be tricky. This is stamped steel and if you try to bend the part you want, the force may well affect surrounding frame that is not now bent, and then you will lose your seal and have scrap. Problem now is cosmetic. I'd leave it that way.

If you insist in trying to straighten it, your best shot would be with large arc joing pliers, one on each side of the bends immediately next to the bend. Then bend it back carefully. This is still pretty risky as distortioin is likely, even to parts of the frame not now distorted.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do, and how it turns out. (BTW nice to have a mechanical rather than electrical question once in a while!!)

SteveG

Archived