AR-2Ax speaker stands

Guest danamc

Guest danamc

Did AR ever make speaker stands for the AR-2Ax speaker? I've found a pair of what I think are stands for the 3A, and am wondering if stands were ever available for the 2Ax.

Guest Droog

My 1969 AR catalogue shows one stand availible, a four legged X-shape, 11 inches tall, in un-finished birch

or oiled walnut , $7.50 each. It says that the bases are too large for the AR-4x. I don't know if any other stand

was availible but this may have been tbe only one since the 3 and 3a was only slightly larger than the 2ax and

the 4x was considered strickly a book-shelf speaker. I've seen a few AR stands from the mid 50s, but this was

before serious production started and they are scarce items with not many being made.

Guest dogmeninreno

>Did AR ever make speaker stands for the AR-2Ax speaker? I've

>found a pair of what I think are stands for the 3A, and am

>wondering if stands were ever available for the 2Ax.

I have a set of the 2 piece wood X shaped stands for my AR3a's.

When assembled, it measures 14 3/8" by 13.0".

Since the AR2ax's footprint is 13 1/2" by 11 1/2" and the AR3a footprint is 14.0" by 11 1/2" They should fit the stands nicely.

Also they should work for the AR5's,10pi and 11's as well as other models like the AR3.

Dale in Reno.....

I seem to rember a metal tubular stand also available?

>Since the AR2ax's footprint is 13 1/2" by 11 1/2" and the AR3a footprint is 14.0" by 11 1/2" They should fit the stands nicely. <

Dale,

Actually the stands are a little large for a pair of 2ax's and so the speakers don't really sit very securely on them. You have the option of whether the front or the back of the cabinet doesn't sit atop the legs.

It doesn't really look right and "feels" like they are dangerously perched.

Bret

Guest danamc

Brett,

Have you had the chance to put the 2Ax on these stands? I really am interested in a stand for my 2AX and these stands for the 3A would fill the bill nicely.

Dana

>Did AR ever make speaker stands for the AR-2Ax speaker? I've

>found a pair of what I think are stands for the 3A, and am

>wondering if stands were ever available for the 2Ax.

The original type was the "Speaker Stand," which was a stand with two shelves finished in veneered plywood with banded edges, and the shelves were mounted on wrought-iron legs. This stand was about 29" or 30" tall, and allowed the speakers to be mounted horizontally. Finishes available were mahogany, birch, standard walnut, oiled walnut and cherry. These beautiful stands cost $30 each, I believe, back in the early 1960s. The "Speaker Base" was a solid-walnut x-shaped base that stood 11" high. These were fairly common, and cost $7.50 each. It was common to see AR-3as mounted on these bases. In the 1970s a cheap, vinyl-covered particle-board base, about 8-inches tall, was also made available. For the AR-10Pi, AR-11, etc., AR introduced a metal stand that looked elegant with those speakers, but did not fit the AR-3a quite right do to the different width.

--Tom Tyson

>Have you had the chance to put the 2Ax on these stands? I really am interested in a stand for my 2AX and these stands for the 3A would fill the bill nicely.<

Yes, the ones Dale has were under a pair of 2ax's at my house a month ago. The 2ax isn't quite deep enough to really sit squarely on the stands.

It isn't like you have to balance the speakers on the stands or anything that drastic, but the 2ax just isn't quite big enough to straddle all four legs.

Bottom line: You can successfully get them to sit there, but it isn't a perfect fit.

Bret

Guest Droog

Just noticed this website has an order form with a photo for a stand made for 2ax, 3, 3a etc. It's just four

pieces of wood put together n a rectangle, only 4" high. Look under ' AR speakers, classic years 1954-1974,

speaker stand order form.'

• 1 year later...

Hi there

Just to add my 2 cents worth to this old listing.

I have a set of AR solid walnut speaker stands which I used long ago for my AR3A's.

The uprights are 2" x 2" and they had felt circular pads about 3/8" in diameter on top of each to prevent scratching of the speaker veneers.

Looking back, it would not have taken much of a bump to knock over the speaker. A large excited dog or younger child banging up against them and over they would go. They did look nice though.

So as long as you don't bump them great.

A word about the actual stands construction.

They were not bought at the same time so they used at least two methods to attach the cross pieces and the uprights.

Dovetailing or ? I don't know my woodworking skills.

Vern

>>Did AR ever make speaker stands for the AR-2Ax speaker?

>I've

>>found a pair of what I think are stands for the 3A, and am

>>wondering if stands were ever available for the 2Ax.

>

>The original type was the "Speaker Stand," which was a stand

>with two shelves finished in veneered plywood with banded

>edges, and the shelves were mounted on wrought-iron legs.

>This stand was about 29" or 30" tall, and allowed the speakers

>to be mounted horizontally. Finishes available were mahogany,

>birch, standard walnut, oiled walnut and cherry. These

>beautiful stands cost $30 each, I believe, back in the early

>1960s. The "Speaker Base" was a solid-walnut x-shaped base

>that stood 11" high. These were fairly common, and cost $7.50

>each. It was common to see AR-3as mounted on these bases. In

>the 1970s a cheap, vinyl-covered particle-board base, about

>8-inches tall, was also made available. For the AR-10Pi,

>AR-11, etc., AR introduced a metal stand that looked elegant

>with those speakers, but did not fit the AR-3a quite right do

>to the different width.