Removing felt dustcap from an 8" woofer

TimmyTonga

As in this, from an MST;

8%22 felt dustcap.jpg

Is the technique the same as for the 12" fabric dust-cap on a 3a? I must admit, sticking a blade in the usual place feels very different; as if there is a lot more resistance.....

You are feeling resistance because the flat dust cap on this woofer is a thick piece of semi-rigid cardboard, but it can be cut precisely if you use a very sharp, fresh, thin blade in your hobby knife. I always prefer X-acto #11 blades because of their slender tip, and it is key to hold the knife/blade parallel to the slope of the cone when cutting. This does two things: it tends to keep the tip of the blade further away from the wire leads once exposed; and the angled cut allows for the dust cap to have a snug conical fit and wider glue surface when it is re-attached after re-foaming.

The first two pics below show the very same woofer from an AR-7, recently re-foamed. The first three-part pic shows: original state; cleaned and prepped basket; and woofer with hinged dust cap, shimmed VC, and painted basket perimeter, ready for foam attachment. The second two-part pic shows: surround attached, shims removed, dust cap getting re-glued; and completed woofer with touched-up dust cap after re-glue in place. 

The third two-part pic is of a similar AR-6 woofer that was in rough shape, which shows: dust cap completely removed, sitting on shims while foam gets dry fit; and completed woofer with dust cap replaced and re-touched. 

woofer re-foam 1.jpg

woofer re-foam 2.jpg

AR-6 woofer shim, re-foam.jpg

Thanks ra.ra. Very helpful and informative; your pictures suggest I was cutting too near the edge and that its best to avoid the butyl rubber. I have now attempted it slightly further in, and it seems fine.

whether I can get it as neat as yours in the final analysis remains to be seen...

Archived