Crossover slope of TSW-410

gibbyj

I'm planning to tri-amp (probably) or bi-amp (maybe) my system which uses TSW-410's.  I need better bass response, all the way down to 20hz or lower, for playing my digital piano (which uses Pianoteq model).  And I'm intrigued with advantages of the individual amps...  I think I will use Marchand analog active crossover network, which won't have any latency at all, unlike a digital processing approach.  (Even small amount of latency doesn't feel right, on the piano.)  I'm considering a nice 15" Dayton hi-fi woofer with amp, crossover to the AR woofer at about 100hz.  Then disabling the AR crossover between woofer and mid/tweeter, using the Marchand for crossover freq about 440hz, similar to what I think the AR was doing.  But I'm not sure what slope to use.  I think it may depend on whether a speaker response is starting to roll off at around the crossover point. A Dayton RS-HF 15 woofer is good to 800hz I read, and the AR 8" is good down to 50hz or so.  So not much roll-off around 100hz.  Can I use a 24db/octave slope at 100hz, or is that too steep?  And then at 440hz, I'm not sure where the 8" woofer rolls off, and I wasn't able to look up the slope of the existing TSW410 crossover at 440hz.  Maybe I could measure it with my speaker testing application, with a shotgun mic pointed right at the woofer?  Anyway, the Marchand fellow likes 24dB/octave, but others have told me that's good for a PA but "too steep for music."  Any advice?

if you like the way the TSW's sound, I don't think I'd mess with multi-amping them.

as far as the sub to woofer handoff, I'd go shallow slope for the high pass, like 6db/octave starting at 100-120hz, or just let the 8" roll off naturally and augment with the subwoofer...

Archived