AR-XB Turntable

ninohernes

Guest dogmeninreno

>I am looking at buying an AR-XB turntable. I have never used

>an AR turntable before. How are they as far as tracking goes?

>

I have both the "xa" and "xb" turntables. I recall that both were designed to track at 1/2 gram minimum. Here is a link to the manuals FYI.

The "xb'is a little different in that it has a tonearm lift feature and a hinged dustcover. Otherwise, I believe they are quite similar. I have no negative comments and consider them excellent products. Dale

http://www.arsound.com/public_html/data/arturntable.htm

Dale,

>>The "xb'is a little different in that it has a tonearm lift feature and a hinged dustcover.<<

The AR XB turntable was the first AR product I owned. It was the first piece of stereo equipment I owned. I still have it, but one of my brothers is using it. It does have the tonearm lift, but does not have a hinged dust cover.

There is also an AR XB77 turntable that came out later. I can't remember what it looks like. Maybe it had a hinged dust cover.

Joe,

>>How are they as far as tracking goes?<<

The XB has the same suspension as the XA (the one Linn Sondek "borrowed" for their LP12 TT). My XB came with a Shure M91ED cartridge. I later replaced it with a Sonus cartridge. Both performed very well. I have some pretty thin albums with some significant warps in them. The XB tonearm tracked all but the worst ones really well at 1 1/2 grams.

The XB came with a small bottle of oil, a mini screwdriver, a plastic scale with weights and tonearm length gauge, cartridge mounting hardware, and an Aluminum 45 RPM adapter. Make sure you get everything.

Rich

Archived