AR-3a pot question

Jaws

So about two years ago I acquired a pair of European AR-3a's, serial nos E3A00245 and E3A00245, and I've finally got round to restoring them (having been too busy enjoying my AR2ax's). I've removed the woofers for re-foaming, and before working on the crossover I did a low-level listen - both midranges and tweeters worked fine but I couldn't vary their levels with the pots. I replaced the capacitors as a matter of course, and thought that they might be the reason I couldn't vary the levels, but having done that I'm still getting the same behaviour. If it was just one pot behaving like this I could understand it and I'd take it apart, but both pots on both speakers? Before I remove all the pots I wonder if anyone else has seen the same thing?

The crossover is the late version as in the restoration guide, and hasn't been modified as far as I can tell.

Good suggestion, and you're right, the pots had been bypassed. I've cleaned up the pots and wired them back into circuit, and three out of the four are working fine. I need to have another go at the last one but I think it will be OK.

Thanks.

Archived