soon new KLH 6 owner

nino65

Hallo CSP people,

my name's Carmine and I live in Erchie a small village on Amalfi Coast, Italy.

A pair of KLH model 6 is on its way from California to my house. Just bought them on Ebay.com
I'm a little collector of vintage speakers so I'm eager to listen to KLH, which I've known here on the net
but never owned any model of speakers before.

Some question for KLH experts: in the photo I attached to this message you can see the serial number of
one of the boxes. Can you tell, approximately, which year of production the box is?
And, this is important... :rolleyes: I suppose I should connect the amplifier's + wire (red) to the right screw on the panel and the - wire
(black) on the left screw on the panel.
Right?

Thanks for your attention to this first message of mine.

Keep up the good work!

Carmine.

post-139659-0-38447200-1375036652_thumb.

These were made during 1963, at the earliest. This is the year, more or less, KLH switched to removable drivers. Prior to that, they were glued to the front speaker cabinet board. I don't have serial number information. This is based on the picture you posted.

Connection polarity isn't critical, but your speakers will sound better if they're both hooked up the same.

Welcome aboard Carmine!

I have two hopes for you.

1) The speakers arrive safely at your home with no transit damage.

2) Your KLH 6's are the later versions that are easier to work on.

Hallo Carl,

me too hope carriers treat the packages (they're 2) professionally well. I've paid for that! -_-

and yes, the speakers's cloth can be removed. The seller told me that and sent me a photo of one of the woofers. It has screws.

Carmine.

These were made during 1963, at the earliest. This is the year, more or less, KLH switched to removable drivers. Prior to that, they were glued to the front speaker cabinet board. I don't have serial number information. This is based on the picture you posted.

Connection polarity isn't critical, but your speakers will sound better if they're both hooked up the same.

Hi dxho,

yes my travelling pair of KLH 6 have removable cloths and woofers screwed to the front.

How did you trace back the year (more or less) from the photo I posted?

And what you mean with 'polarity isn't critical'? if I connect black wire on the + box post and red wire on the - post couldn't I risk to damage something, either amplifier or speakers?

here are the ones I purchased:

post-139659-0-09863800-1375047722_thumb.

post-139659-0-62576700-1375048338_thumb.

I could be off a little on the changeover year. The Model Four was discontinued in 1964. They never had removable drivers. The Seventeen and Twenty came out about 1965, and they always had removable drivers. I may have read more about this, but I don't remember those sources if I did. I'm sure the Illuminati here will correct me if I'm missing something :-)

I could tell yours are the later versions because of the recessed connection plate on the rear. The earlier style speakers had a plate flush with the wood surface/not recessed.

No, you won't damage the amp or speakers if you reverse polarity. In this instance, it's mainly to make sure all your speakers are connected the same (same polarity on both speakers, or however many you have).

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard Carmine!

I have two hopes for you.

1) The speakers arrive safely at your home with no transit damage.

2) Your KLH 6's are the later versions that are easier to work on.

Hallo Carl,

KLH model six arrived!

Undamaged (the seller made a very professional package) and beautifully sounding.

I'm the owner of a pair of Dynaco A-25 also and, compared to them, I must say that KLH 6 are more 'open' and disclosing of music.

They sound so musically good to me that, even though woofers edges have some dust and seems to lack a bit, in some areas, of the black, glue-like material used to air-seal them, I do not plan to touch them in any way, crossover capacitors included.

Happy to have them in my little speakers collection.

Actually driven by a 15 watt, 75,00 $, Tripath 2024 powered, little digital amplifier. They sound terrific.

Greetings from Italy!

Archived