interesting find on my last change to my ar 4x speakers

ironlake

I had simply speakers foam my ar 4x woofers as the surrounds were so full of goup they were stiff. I never paid much attention to them except put them in when I got them back and enjoyed the much fuller deeper bass from them. today I took down one extra ar4x woofer (original) and the surround looked small to me. sure enough the 4x woofers I have now have 5/8s surrounds and the originals have small 1/8 surrounds. I assume the 5/8 s are responsible for the extended deep bass down to at least 40 hz and much more cone excursion on deep bass. Not sure how the original woofer with just the ar cloth surround without any goup on them sounded on deep bass, but I sure love the 5/8s surrounds bass. Now the speaker can use its full long excursion that the 1/8s limited the excursion would not allow.. I would guess the tape around the magnetic that covers the voice coil as it goes all the way back to the end of the magnet for long cone movement with a more shallow cone depth was to keep junk from from getting into itself.

If you would like better low bass (verified with a frequency test cd) change yours and order the surround for the 8 inch advent heritages and be sure you specify on the order you want 5/8s foam as some places do not have 8 inch surrounds with a 5/8s foam and they send 1/8 and say good enough.

Archived