how much fiberglass for AR2ax?

michiganpat

re-stuffing my 2ax's is pretty much the last step I have to do in my restoration. I did a search and the only thing I could find on audiokarma and CSP was a post by Carl recommending 20oz of FG for the 2ax's, which is also the same amount in the AR3a restoration document for the 3a. I just wanted to confirm what the optimal amount of stuffing is, and if it being the same amount as the larger 3a is just a coincidence.

I picked up a roll of john mansville unfaced R19 this weekend, so hopefully I can find time in the next few days so I can bring them into my office, get them burnt in and do some comparison to my AR18's and holographic imaging M5's..

thanks,

Patrick

See post #18 here

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=1929&hl=fiberglass#entry61115

Roy notes a reduction in stuffing in the 2ax from 28 oz. rockwool to 20 oz. yellow FG. This is basically the same as occurred with the 3a. My research on the stuffing topic has led me to conclude that the basic difference in the weights is attributable to the basic difference in the density of the stuffing material (i.e. not all FG is the same).

weighed my roll of fiberglass, it's certainteed, not john mansville R19,

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/insulation/rolls-batts/6-1-4-t-x-15-w-x-39-2-l-r-19-unfaced-fiberglass-rolls/p-1706795-c-5780.htm

according to our bathroom scale, weighing me, then weighing me with the roll of insulation, it's 13.8 lbs, or 220.8oz....so a piece 42.5" long will be 20oz....

guess I'll have a little extra :blink:

got one stuffed and sealed before I had to get my daughter up for school this morning. boy, 20oz of FG really fills the speaker....

Archived