AR9 tweeter question - and what do you think?

fast_eddie_72

Hey All,

Well, to be honest, I haven't listened to my 9s in a while. I'm enjoying my 3s so much that I've been doing all my music listening upstairs. But I was browsing a certain auction site and saw something that caught my eye.

My 9s had two blown tweeters when I bought them. I replaced them with the new "replacements". I've always kind of had an eye out for the right tweeters. Right now, there is an auction for a pair of mids and tweeters from a pair of AR58s for what seems a reasonable price. The tweeters *look* exactly like the ones that came out of my early 9s. They have the larger silver ring like mine and no evidence of the felt rings. Visually they're exactly the same.

I can make out the part number in the picture. 200043-0. That is not the number on mine. Mine are 200029-1. The mids, again, look like a pair of AR9 mids, but completely black rather than having the semi-horn painted silver. I can't make out the part numbers in the photos but I'm sure they're not the same. However my mids are working just great, so I don't really need them.

Here's what I'm considering. I could buy these, sell my new, now gently used replacements and those mids and hopefully, at the end of the day, have a pair of tweeters to get my 9s back to original spec for a reasonable amount of cash. But can anyone confirm that those tweeters are appropriate? And if I were to sell those mids, would it be accurate to say they are a suitable replacements for 9s and 90s?

Then again, who am I kidding. Like I've ever actually sold any of the gear I've hoarded over the years. Probably just keep them for back ups. Or just roll on with the replacements I have in there. To be honest, I've never heard anything from them that made me think they weren't doing their job just fine. Just hang on to my cash and enjoy the music?

What say you all?

• 4 weeks later...

go for it.

The AR58 was a bookshelf version of the AR91. The later AR58B/BX models were not the same. The 58S is somewhere in between, and sorry I have not researched it.

Archived