What is this?

ninohernes

>Take a look at this AR-2, it has an 8 inch woofer. I saw it

>on ebay a while ago. Is this a fraud?

It is an authentic AR-2, and a very early one at that. It was most likely made in 1957 (or early 1958) just about the time Henry Kloss was parting ways with AR. It has a 10-inch woofer (the only AR woofer with an 11-inch frame). What gave you the idea -- other than the eBay seller's description -- that it was an 8-inch woofer? Note, also, the very early "AR-2" designation on the back of the label. It does not have the "2" in gothic style, which came later. An AR-2 this early is quite rare.

It looks like an original unfinished-pine enclosure that someone stained mahogany, but I am not sure.

--Tom Tyson

Look at the front of it, and how much wider the space is from the edge of the woofer to the side of the cabinet molding. It appears to be about 2 inches, on my AR-2's there is just shy of an inch. Here is a pic of an AR-2 that looks like mine. Mabye the grilles were different on the old one. (I hate having to steal pictures like this, but my scanner is not working, if it was, I would show a pic of my own.)

post-100523-1069595477.jpg

>Look at the front of it, and how much wider the space is from

>the edge of the woofer to the side of the cabinet molding. It

>appears to be about 2 inches, on my AR-2's there is just shy

>of an inch. Here is a pic of an AR-2 that looks like mine.

>Mabye the grilles were different on the old one. (I hate

>having to steal pictures like this, but my scanner is not

>working, if it was, I would show a pic of my own.)

I think the early AR-1s and AR-2s had grill panels with the woofer hole smaller than the woofer frame, and only about the size of the woofer cone itself. I have an AR-1 with serial number 0006, and it has that same small hole, barely the size of the woofer cone and suspension. Subsequently, this panel was changed in the AR-1 and made larger, so I suspect that the same thing happened on the AR-2. I do know that AR never made an 8-inch woofer for the AR-2.

--Tom Tyson

>Hey Tom,

>

>I'm updating and bug fixing today .. I noticed the link you

>just posted shows:

>

>"C:DocumentsandSettingsTomMyDocumentsMyPicturesmARImagesAR-1-SerNo0006(2)"

>

>I'm not sure how you did that, but it's an invalid link. ;)

>

>Mark

Hi, Mark,

Well... I could not get the image to load after repeated tries. I reduced the size of the image to about 40K or so, but for some reason it would not go over even though it indicated everything was okay. So... I tried to manually enter the file. Wrong move; sorry about that. I wonder if my firewall is keeping the file from loading the normal way?

--Tom Tyson

Archived