AR9 acoustic blanket

Guest dogmeninreno

>Does anyone have a hint on the best way to remove an acoustic blanket from a set of AR9's?<

I wouldn't even try. You didn't say why you wanted to, but if there were any way around it, any way at all, I'd do that.

I tried to remove the blankets from a pair of 92s. I thought if I went slowly enough and carefully enough that things would be okay. I couldn't do it. The felt is very, very easily distorted if tugged on at all and it is very, very easy to accidently cut the blanket if you use a razorblade to cut the adhesive.

I'm not saying it cannot be done. I probably could have done it if I could have mustered the patience to make 1"/day progress with several dozen fresh X-acto knives. One slip, one misplaced pull. . . it won't go back together right. It's like trying to put pocket-lint back together after it has been pulled apart.

I tried on each of the 92 cabinets until I damaged the blankets so severely that there was no reason to go on and eventually had to pitch them in the garbage. (and that hurt)

I just wouldn't even try this unless you're trying to "save" the blanket from a pair of cabinets so destroyed that this is the only way and there will be "no loss" if you fail.

Bret

Guest dogmeninreno

Hi, Well, I have bought some drivers from a person in Oregon and as you guessed, He is going to scrap the AR9 enclosures so I asked for the felt. I will pass your advice along and thanks..Dale

>He's going to scrap the enclosures!?!

>

>I hope that means these cabinets were sitting in knee-deep

>water for a week or something.

>

>Oregon? Maybe a beaver got to 'em?

>

>Bret

This reminds me of an eBay auction I saw recently whereby the owner had a pair of decent-looking Allison: Ones; but I surmise the owner did not want to deal with packing and shipping them, so he parted them out. I don't think the individual drivers brought anywhere near the going rate for a pair of those speakers.

--Tom Tyson

Guest dogmeninreno

>>He's going to scrap the enclosures!?!

>>

>>I hope that means these cabinets were sitting in knee-deep

>>water for a week or something.

>>

>>Oregon? Maybe a beaver got to 'em?

>>

>>Bret

>

>This reminds me of an eBay auction I saw recently whereby the

>owner had a pair of decent-looking Allison: Ones; but I

>surmise the owner did not want to deal with packing and

>shipping them, so he parted them out. I don't think the

>individual drivers brought anywhere near the going rate for a

>pair of those speakers.

>

>--Tom Tyson

>

Well, I am awaiting the condition of the cabinets and xovers. He will give them to me with some of the grills if I want to drive 450 miles one way? I don't know if I want to. The outlay seems to exceed current prices on eBay for the 9's. I bought 2 tweeters from him for $125.00 total and 2 lower mids for $30.00 total. He still has 2 woofers but wants too much for the pair (125.00). May need refoamong soon. Dale

Bret, Beaver Maybe??

>Bret, Beaver Maybe??<

Man, I'm all the way down in the heart of Dixie. Oregon seems about as far away as. . . England.

BUT - having said that, I can't imagine empty cabinets would cost much more than $150 to ship even all the way down here.

I want you to know that I'm having a very bad time with this.

I think the reason AR-9s are going as cheaply as they are on eBay is because people know that packing and shipping them is going to cost another $150-200 (not to mention that they are just plain BIG).

Let's see what condition the cabinets are in.

Oh man, I'm torn between the idea that I can buy a pair (shipped) for $750 that don't need restored and the idea that even if I had $250 too much in a pair that needs all the drivers back. . . I'd be preserving them, at least.

My wife would shoot me. Not dead. No, she'd just take-out my knee-caps and elbows.

Let me know what he says about the condition of the cabinets. Maybe they'll be cracked and have peeling veneer and the tops will be water-ringed. Would make life easier.

450 miles. Wow. That'a a long way. That's just about like driving to Houston, TX from here.

Bret

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dogmeninreno

>>Bret, Beaver Maybe??<

>

>Man, I'm all the way down in the heart of Dixie. Oregon seems

>about as far away as. . . England.

>

>BUT - having said that, I can't imagine empty cabinets would

>cost much more than $150 to ship even all the way down here.

>

>I want you to know that I'm having a very bad time with this.

>

>

>I think the reason AR-9s are going as cheaply as they are on

>eBay is because people know that packing and shipping them is

>going to cost another $150-200 (not to mention that they are

>just plain BIG).

>

>Let's see what condition the cabinets are in.

>

>Oh man, I'm torn between the idea that I can buy a pair

>(shipped) for $750 that don't need restored and the idea that

>even if I had $250 too much in a pair that needs all the

>drivers back. . . I'd be preserving them, at least.

>

>My wife would shoot me. Not dead. No, she'd just take-out my

>knee-caps and elbows.

>

>Let me know what he says about the condition of the cabinets.

>Maybe they'll be cracked and have peeling veneer and the tops

>will be water-ringed. Would make life easier.

>

>450 miles. Wow. That'a a long way. That's just about like

>driving to Houston, TX from here.

>

>Bret

He says that the cabinets are in OK shape. Grills are ratty and I believe one was missing. Xovers are intact. I am not sure if he removed the blanket yet. Dale

Guest audioslave

> I can't imagine empty cabinets would

>cost much more than $150 to ship even all the way down here.

>Bret

Just purchased a pair of 9's, with drivers and grills. Shipping from California to Upstate New York, Fed-ex 5 day was about $80 per speaker. That was the cheapest I could find.

Shipping for one AR 9 = $80

Shipping for two AR 9's = $160

Knowing that your father's 303's will now look small......Priceless!!

>Knowing that your father's 303's will now look small......Priceless!<

LOL

My dad longed for a pair of 3s and then 3as for years and years and years and years. . . He got his, finally, in 1971 or 1972. I got my 9's in 1979 and we haven't spoken since.

I'm kidding, Dad and I get along great.

But speaker-envy can be a powerful emotion.

Bret

>He says that the cabinets are in OK shape. Grills are ratty and I believe one was missing. Xovers are intact. I am not sure if he removed the blanket yet. <

Dale, thanks for checking-up on this.

I've walked and pondered. It's 1:20 in the morning (about), I didn't get home from work until nearly 10:00pm, have a 7:00am breakfast meeting, a 10:00am meeting, and then I'll be driving for two hours, meeting, spending the night, and driving home Friday morning and have stuff to do all afternoon *and* work I'll have to do over the weekend.

My kids are starting to ask, "Who's the guy with the beard, Mom?" when I walk through the house.

So as much as I hate to think of a pair of 9s being dismantled and the cabinets destroyed, even if I had somewhere to store them (which I don't), I just cannot see taking-on an AR-9 restoration project of that magnitude anytime in the foreseeable future.

Bret

After looking at mine, it appears to be held on with an adhesive that should be relatively easy to remove. I'd try several organic solvents like xylene (Goof Off), denatured alcohol, or acetone in a well ventillated area or outdoors if possible. If that doesn't work and the glue turns out to be water soluable, try an orange based cleaning agent (I removed wallpaper with it.) There are many choices at Home Depot.

Work slowly in small sections starting in one corner, and wear rubber gloves to protect your skin. Determine that the solvent will effectively remove the glue without damaging the blanket itself. It is almost certain to remove any walnut stain under the glue as well but that won't be visible after the new blanket and grill cloth are reinstalled.

Archived