Dynacos on eBay. What are they?

Horswispr

Hi Colin

They are not the Denmark made Dynaco A-25 classic speaker in any variation we are all so familiar with.

A clear closeup shot of the rear paper label would be really helpful.

After our classic Dynaco speakers were made in Denmark, there was another speaker series produced in Canada, sorry no pictures or information.

Apparently, not all that well received, but still may be enjoyed by some buffs.

Having the familiar metal Dynaco logo on the front may be interesting to follow up.

• 3 months later...

Hi Colin - just ran across your original posting. The speakers in question are indeed Dynaco A-25 Classics( actual name) produced by the new Dynaco ( Division of Panor Corporation) located in Hauppauge, NY sometime in in the late 1980s or early to mid 1990s as best I can recall. I actually have a glossy tech sheet for them from Dynaco. They used newer generation drivers including an aluminum dome tweeter. Of course the crossover was also entirely different so I assume this is really an entirely different speaker compared to the old A-25. Panor ( Dynaco) also re-manufactured some of the old models in an updated model such as the Stereo 80 amp, PAS-4 tube preamp and also tube CD player. Not sure what happened to them.

Hi Collin

I re-visited this topic again to see if I made a mistake in my original response to your question.

I didn't.

You were asking if they were the original A-25 speakers which we all consider to be a classic speakers.

The closest thing I see of these particular speakers is the one brass logo.

Different drivers, driver positioning, vent design, terminal connections, name, etc.

Of course the sound output would be the most important factor in these speakers.

Still not the original A-25.

Looking again i realized i went to the classic ones below, the ones you have posted like dan says are not originals, tweeters are not same drivers are most likely replacements, i would recommend the original, and maybe a cap replacement, usually all they need, you can get fancier and rewire then as well, but the original components on the original A25's i would guess are much better. i see some other classic ones on ebay , some look like they have been rehabbed some don't if you care about sound and willing to replace capacitor if needed, get the originals, just my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never heard any of these later "Dynaco A-25s." It would be interesting to A-B them (meaning any of the later incarnations) with the original. I've heard some XLs, but they didn't sound as good as regular A-25s to me (both SEAS and Scanspeak versions sound great to me). Interestingly, I DID hear a pair of early American Dynaco A-25s (with the three-screw-hole-tweeter and the "almost-SEAS-looking" woofer) that sounded quite good--perhaps a bit punchier than their Danish counterparts. I'm listening to an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" pair (I never re-capped them) as I write. They have the "roundie" woofers and the cabs with no grain on the back edge. I assume them to be among the last ones made in Denmark. They sound...like Dynaco A-25s.

• 2 months later...

I've never heard any of these later "Dynaco A-25s." It would be interesting to A-B them (meaning any of the later incarnations) with the original. I've heard some XLs, but they didn't sound as good as regular A-25s to me (both SEAS and Scanspeak versions sound great to me). Interestingly, I DID hear a pair of early American Dynaco A-25s (with the three-screw-hole-tweeter and the "almost-SEAS-looking" woofer) that sounded quite good--perhaps a bit punchier than their Danish counterparts. I'm listening to an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" pair (I never re-capped them) as I write. They have the "roundie" woofers and the cabs with no grain on the back edge. I assume them to be among the last ones made in Denmark. They sound...like Dynaco A-25s.

Hi my friend

Interesting that we never were made aware of the Seas/Scan driver differences in any review that I ever read, way back when.

Dynaco never mentioned it for a very wise decision.

If they had we would have been looking for one version or the other, creating inventory havoc.

Similar to AR not announcing, at least initially, the driver or crossover changes or cabinet modifications in the AR 2AX's AR 3A's and AR-LST's.

We did read about these at a later date.

How many people found that they had a cloth and a separate foam surround woofer when they got them home.

Which one would you have liked to find in your living room?

The LST's were crossover rear mounted and through the woofer opening method.

There was a Mallory switch initially and I have had several USA made Mallory switches in utility boxes, nicely made.

I assume Mallory stopped making switches and AR went upwards to a higher level of switch later instead of stepping down on quality, yeh AR.

I have 2 pairs of LST's and one pair is rear mounted crossover and the other front mounted.

I am not going to sweat bullets over which may or may not have the caps and resistors as per final end of the run speakers.

When I was young and poor I would have wanted the very latest production speaker possible.

Today I am old and poor and have learned little and will accept small compromises.

They never said anything about the switch from horn woofers to roundie woofers either. Or black front to red front (or was it the other way around?). I think I've even seen different capacitor values in Dynacos (4.7 and 5.0). Interesting that nobody's still around (apparently) who can comment on the switch from Scanspeak to SEAS. In my experience, the SEAS outnumber the Scanspeak by a ratio of about 8 to 1, maybe more.

Archived