Speakers and radiators

Joel

I am thinking of setting up second system in another room. The problem is that the only reasonable places in the room to put the speakers have hot-water radiators near. I would either have to set at least one speaker in front or above a radiator.

Is this a bad idea? Obviously only a problem in the winter, but what effect would radiant heat have on the health of the speaker?

-Joel

I think that potentially, at least, the wood will dry out and become brittle and possibly warp, especially with veneer. If the finish is vinyl, like some of the Large Advent's then the probabilty that there will be shrinkage accompanied with "curling" is a very real possibility. In front of the radiator would be better, IMO, as above the radiator would be much warmer and dryer. The problem with steam/hot water heat is that it removes a lot of moisture from the air.

If you use a humidifier to replace that loss, I would think it should help. With my woodstove, we place a steam kettle or large sauce pan of water on top of it as a humidifier.

Archived