AR X-07 reciever

HarryM

Does anybody have info on this reciever.Is it worth $100.Was it a really good one or was it one of the worsed ones.I tried a search but didn't find anything on this model.Anything anyone can tell me would be great.Thanks

In 1986, AR introduced a line of stereo components in the US: the A-06 and A-04 integrated amplifiers, the X-10, X-06, and X-04 receivers, and the CD-04 CD player. I have never heard of an X-07 receiver. There was also a power amp (P-10) and pre-amp (C-06). I do not recall any of these units being tested by any of the magazines, nor did I ever see them in person or know anyone who used them.

The receivers were rated 100, 60, and 40 continuous watts at 8 ohms, and were rated at DIN Power 1% THD (no freq range specified, although the P-10 was DIN rated at 1% THD @ 1kHz) at 4 ohms, 180, 100, 70 watts.

Further, they were rated for "Music" power at 4 ohms, 300, 200, 100 watts.

But the only 20-20k continuous rating with a THD spec was for 8 ohm operation.

I think they came and went very quickly. Judging from the lit, it was probably pretty decent stuff, perhaps roughly equivalent to Yamaha-level gear of the time. It was most likely re-badged vendor-supplied equipment, perhaps with a custom-tooled cosmetic front panel, which had a nice slope to it. But I don't believe AR had any in-house electronic designers at that time, so this line was probably vendor-designed.

"We need some electronics. Whattya got?"

"This stuff. No one else in your market is using it."

"OK, but can we re-design the looks and do a custom front panel?"

"Sure, but that'll add 16 weeks to delivery and the tooling will cost you $30,000."

"Can we give you $15k up front and amortize the balance into the first 3000 pieces of production?"

"OK, deal, but you have to take a minimum of 2000 units per year, for three years, or else you pay for any unabsorbed amortization."

That's the way it works in this business.

Steve F.

I suspect the X-07 was a replacement for the X-06, or possibly the same unit in a different market. I saw one up for auction a few years ago and it had the same specs as the X-06 and looked pretty much the same except that its front panel was squared-off vertical instead of angled.

Here's a link to an AudioKarma thread that has some pics: http://audiokarma.or...ad.php?t=442997

I also do not recall ever seeing any of the audio publications of the period doing any reviews.

Thanks guys,thats helpful to me.I may pick it up but I'm not sure yet.I don't really need another reciever but I thought it may be some what collectable.It doesn't seem to be a collector item but it does seem to be a pretty good reciever.Thanks again.

Archived