AR93Q pair with qustionable woofers and mids.... opinions?

twocoaster

Hello AR fans,

This pair of 93Q I just picked up is in great condition - maybe too great. The mids and woofers (all 6) have very competent foam surrounds. Out of curiosity, I pulled one and it has a very large round magnet with the numerals 820, 1056, 9638 in red ink, and 8 ohm, black cloth dustcaps. There is no overt evidence of changed drivers (screw holes, etc), but I read about white dustcaps and square mags.... what have I got here?

Thanks

tc

replacement woofers. post pics.....maybe they're later tonegen factory replacements....very likely if they are a gold colored frame and back plate

replacement woofers. post pics.....maybe they're later tonegen factory replacements....very likely if they are a gold colored frame and back plate

Thanks for the reply michiganpat, I suspected as much. These drivers seem to be very high quality, but I do prefer stock components generally. How would you rate these vs. originals

img7349z.jpg

img7348s.jpg

img7347n.jpg

I am sure others here know better then I but I think when there is a hole in the magnet they are only for ported boxes because you won't beable to make them air tight.I could be wrong though.They do look like a quality speaker.

yup, replacements, and not AR replacements...big magnet, look to be halfway decent. the hole in the back is to vent the pole piece to cool the coil, as long as the dust cap is non-permeable, then the'll be fine for sealed applicaitons...whether or not their T-S parameters and response would be a good fit for the AR93 cabs, who knows....

I am sure others here know better then I but I think when there is a hole in the magnet they are only for ported boxes because you won't beable to make them air tight.I could be wrong though.They do look like a quality speaker.

yup, replacements, and not AR replacements...big magnet, look to be halfway decent. the hole in the back is to vent the pole piece to cool the coil, as long as the dust cap is non-permeable, then the'll be fine for sealed applicaitons...whether or not their T-S parameters and response would be a good fit for the AR93 cabs, who knows....

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated. I will dig around the web to see if I can find brand, model, and/or specs based on the codes on the magnets.

Archived