Best cart for $300

ninohernes

I know this is a speaker fourm, and I shouldent post this. However, I am going to post it anyway. I am looking for a new cartridge for my turntable. I dont realy want to spend more than around 300 bucks. I currently have a Shure V15VxMR, and it certanly was not worth 280 bucks, it should be about $100. I used to have a Grado Gold, but it hummed on my turntable, its too bad, because I realy liked the way it sounded. Right now I am looking at a Goldring 1022GX. It looks prety good, and the reviews are much better than the ones of the Shure. I have a Philips 212 manual turntable.

>>Right now I am looking at a Goldring 1022GX.<

I'm going to get in trouble again, I can feel it coming. . . but then I don't think I always have to be right.

My favorite cartridge of all-time was the Stanton 681EEE-S I had. I've also been impressed with everything I've listened-to from Grado, although one was a modification (Parmethian?). I haven't owned a Grado since my very first bottom-of-the-line record player that wasn't a GE Wildcat.

I've never cared for Shure's offerings although my Dad has used them for years and I know a lot of people swear by them.

I've also owned "top end" cartridges (years ago) from:

Audio Technica - (red stylus is all I remember) competent, lacking somehow, but not-bad.

Acutex M320III STR - I actually liked this cartridge a lot. A lot. They went to a P-mount version. I bought one and didn't care for it. I remember describing it as a "fuller" Audio Technica. The stylus didn't last long, as I remember.

ADC XLM Mk II - We bought ADC by half-truck-load so I got one really, really cheap. It wasn't horrible. I wouldn't buy another one at retail, but it was heads-and-shoulders above their cheaper offerings that we used to give-away if someone bought a turntable and wouldn't pop for a "good" cartridge.

Ortofon OM30 with some letter or initial after it - It's still laying around here, somewhere. The bloody replacement stylus is nearly $300 and I never, ever, ever liked the cartridge. It always sounded very bass-deficient to me and really played surface noise in incredible hi-fi. But to be fair it was P-mounted on a linear tracking turntable and so maybe something else was amiss. If you wanted to hurt the dog's ears, this was the cartridge of choice.

With the exception of the Ortofon, the rest have been used on cheap Japanese turntables (Pioneer, Kenwood) with stock tonearms.

Oh, one last thing - I bought my Dad an M320 III STR Acutex which he used for some years on his AR turntable, but ultimately went back to his Shure V15-III. I think that Acutex cartridge may still be around, too.

I'm sorry but I have no point of reference for the Goldring. Have you heard one?

Bret

>No, I have not had a chance to hear one.<

Hopefully someone else will jump in here, but I suspect if you really lament not being able to use the Grado that you'd probably like the Stanton regardless of how maligned they are. But then, why not try another Grado?

Bret

I've located the Ortofon - wanna try it? BUT you have to know it was P-mounted and so will have to be mounted to the headshell some kinda unconventional way unless you have a winged mount around. I don't have the finger-rest mounting hardware "whatsitz." Never did have.

I'd glue it to a headshell for you, but didn't the Philips tables have the "headshell" as part of the tonearm?

Wish I could find the Acutex. I think you'd be impressed, maybe enough to pop for a new stylus.

Bret

The headshell on the philips is attached directly to the tonearm. There is a little piece that slides out of it that the cart mounts on. I would try the ortofon, but I am afraid that if it wont fit properly, it might mistrack, and sound funny, or worse ruin a record.

>

>Wish I could find the Acutex. I think you'd be impressed, maybe >enough to pop for a new stylus

I think have read about Acutex, the name sounds somewhat familiar, but I have never listened to one.

>I think have read about Acutex, the name sounds somewhat familiar, but I have never listened to one.<

Wanna hear one? The stylus is worn but not destroyed and replacements are available.

Bret

>OK, I would like to try it, coulden't hurt. <

My thoughts exactly.

It's at Dad's place, and it'll be . . . hey, maybe tonight, otherwise it'll be next week before I can lay hands on it.

Bret

I don't know much about tables but I have a Dual 701 with a gold audio tech at15s cartridge I picked this and a dual c939 cassette deck up in Germany when I was there. Is this a good turn table and can I do better for a cartridge.

I mostly play old quad reordings and soon will be putting them into my computter to burn on disk in the DTS format to save them I will play them back on a home theater system they are still for channel and sound great.

Jim

The Acutex M320III STR is a fantastic cartridge. It has much better top end response compared to the Shure V15vxMR and the Grado Gold. The bass response is also much more controlled. Overall, the Acutex has a much cleaner response. Tracking ability is excellent, and distortion is non existent. This cartridge is shielded, unlike the Grado. This cartridge makes the Shure and the Grado sound cloudy. The Acutex clearly reproduces complex passages with ease. However, if you are looking for a cheap cartridge, all of the Grado prestige series are excellent, the prices are very low, and they sound excellent, I would have stayed with my Grado gold, but it is unshielded, and so is my turntable motor, therefore it hums.

>It has much better top end response compared to the Shure V15vxMR and the Grado Gold. The bass response is also much more controlled. Overall, the Acutex has a much cleaner response.<

I'm glad you like it, too. Your description is better than mine was. How can I tell which recordings you've mastered? I'm ready to listen.

Bret

Archived