sealed KLH 6's, no highs

alkermes

I just picked up a pair of KLH 6's at an estate sale with the rest of the original system - a Sherwood S-5000 amp and S-3000II mono FM tuner. According to the original sales recept, these were purchased as a system back in Februray 1960.

The serial numbers on the speakers are 13,817 and 21,274. I was surprised they were not closer together. I am assuming these have the expoxied woofers/tweeters, the cloth grille is fixed to the frame and the tweeter feels flat against the enclosure.

On first listen both speakers were fine. Played them when I got them home (using another amp) and they were still fine. The day after...no sound out of the tweeter in one of the speakers.

This thread was useful as a reference, http://www.classicsp...=1entry65011.

I think I will take the approach of cutting a rectangular hole out of the back and see what's inside, hopefully replacing the capacitors will fix them back up, and it's not the tweeter that's gone bad. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it.

This makes fixing the Ar-4ax's seem like child's play!

• 3 months later...

I bought my pair of KLH 6's new in 1964. Serial numbers are 064521 and 064931. Took them out of storage to find neither tweeter was working - one had been out since last time checked a few years ago, now both are silent. Anybody have any luck replacing components in the crossover? Details appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

I have found a lot of good information on re-capping the sealed 6's posted across many threads at Audiokarma.

Despite having bought the new caps, I still haven't gotten to this project so I am sorry I can't offer any first-hand information, yet.

it doesn't necessarily require cutting the back. Some have reported being able to chip (or melt) out the glue behind the connection plate on the back. Here are some pictures of a Model Four refurb, done the ugly way: http://www.classicsp...#34;#entry81440

Archived