Dynaco A25 Clarity Capacitor

craig

Hi, I'v had time to evaluate some A25s i had rehabbed at speakerworks chicago. Some of the things he said are true tighter faster bass more highs more range in the highs, but there is still something not quite right about them, he replaced the tweeter wire and did some unique things to

tnem, I hear some improvements they just seem a little overdone, they gain a little to fast sound not as warm and sound little more contrived after the rehab. I was wondering if a Clarity cap is partly to blame, A big 5 uf cap can lead to a different type of sound then if i used the more common dayton or solen caps ?

Hi, I'v had time to evaluate some A25s i had rehabbed at speakerworks chicago. Some of the things he said are true tighter faster bass more highs more range in the highs, but there is still something not quite right about them, he replaced the tweeter wire and did some unique things to

tnem, I hear some improvements they just seem a little overdone, they gain a little to fast sound not as warm and sound little more contrived after the rehab. I was wondering if a Clarity cap is partly to blame, A big 5 uf cap can lead to a different type of sound then if i used the more common dayton or solen caps ?

I would not blame the capacitor.

So the change of wiring is more likely ? or just my ears not used to the cap ? i think the old cap was leaking to 6.5uf or 7 according to the tech.

You've had several modifications done to your speakers.

If you start back to where you were when you had the speakers at home pror to having anything done.

Llist in technical jargon exactly what was done and why.

I'm not a tech but i'll try . First took them in because woofer was not working on one side, he fixed it but for some reason replaced the screws on the woofer, did not look the same as other speaker so i decided to have the caps replaced.

I only asked for the caps to be replaced he originally wanted to bypass the switch but i asked him to keep it and he did.

1. replaced the original cap with a clarity 5.1 uf cap

2 replaced woofer wire or modded it so that its double on the negative, ( he says this makes the bass tighter and deeper)

3 replace tweeter wire with very thin gauge exotic wire with cotton insulation. ( not sure what brand, he says it makes the highs more articulate, to me kinda but it seems to lock out any warmness in the highs as well.)

4 replaced resistor for one and 2 above normal settings

5 matched other side with new screws for woofer, new glue to hold in woofer ( like the original glue )

result, not sure what to make of it sometimes they sounds great and other times it seems too contrived missing the warm gain they used to have, sometimes sounding tighter and cleaner and other times just sounding overdone, the relationship between the highs and the bass is changed.

I wonder how much of it is the capacitor replacement and how much of it is the wire change ?

Archived