Trade AR M5 with original boxes and packing for...

sfbayarch

I am looking to maybe sell or trade a pair of AR M5 Holographic Imaging Series speakers for another pair of speakers, such as Allisons, Thiel, larger ADS...

maybe also AR 303, AR 302....

They are in great condition functionally and cosmetically considering their age. These have the "black suede" head unit over the gloss black tower section (see attached photo). I have the original boxes and packing foam. I am the second owner.

post-117645-0-09876600-1332724328_thumb.

post-117645-0-69696500-1332724334_thumb.

• 5 weeks later...

dunno if this will help from an aesthetic point of view, but I got a couple yards of faux suede upholstery, and some sew on velcro, and my mom helped me make some covers for the tower. my tops had some nicks, so I disassembled them, filled the nicks with body filler and painted them semi-gloss black

post-106055-0-45182600-1335360839_thumb.

post-106055-0-48459900-1335360853_thumb.

That's a nice solution Pat. I considered a nice wood or teak veneer, but ultimately decided that since they are in nearly mint condition it would be a tough call to modify them.

They have been moved into a bedroom system. I still love the sound of these speakers. They're among my handful of favorite speakers of all time. They might not have the viscerally impact and strident presentation of the big Classic and ADD era ARs, but they more than make up for that with a very smooth and 'holographic' delivery that's captivating and completely non-fatiguing.

have you ever opened them up? FYI the surround on the 8" in the bandpass tower is foam. mine are getting a little sketchy, bought replacements, and will probably refoam them within the next 6 months or so...

caps in the nacelle are all poly film, there's a big NPE in the low pass for the bandpass box, but it's value probably isn't critical, so I haven't bothered to change it.

I haven't opened up the tower. I guess I assumed the woofer surround down there was butyl like the driver in the head unit and they are in great condition. I haven't heard anything untoward coming from them, so I had no reason to suspect a problem.

Is it easy to take a look inside?

take off the top nacelle, flip the speaker over. take the 4 feet off, the terminal cup off, and the 8 screws on the bottom off. then the internal baffle slides right out.

great,

I'll take a look soon.

Thanks!

One small thing I noticed is the little rubber 'grommets' seats (or whatever you call them) that fit in the peg holes where the nacelles sit are starting to break up and disintegrate.

Know of a source for these?

Archived