Woofer code numbers question

Carlspeak

On the magnet of some AR woofers there is a part number, such as 1210072-0B or -08, then under that there is a code of sorts such as J72TNE. I have noticed that speakers with the same part numbers have occaisonally different codes. Does the code make any difference when replacing drivers? My guess is that the codes starting with "J" are a J series driver, while the ones starting with "K" are the K series. I do not know if this has any significant value for power handling or performance characteristics. I know that the K comes out of a TSW-410 speaker and the J comes out of the TSW-910. I don't know if they were manufacturing plants and/or date codes or something like that based on the beginning letter.

On the magnet of some AR woofers there is a part number, such as 1210072-0B or -08, then under that there is a code of sorts such as J72TNE. I have noticed that speakers with the same part numbers have occaisonally different codes. Does the code make any difference when replacing drivers? My guess is that the codes starting with "J" are a J series driver, while the ones starting with "K" are the K series. I do not know if this has any significant value for power handling or performance characteristics. I know that the K comes out of a TSW-410 speaker and the J comes out of the TSW-910. I don't know if they were manufacturing plants and/or date codes or something like that based on the beginning letter.

The J72TNE is a Tonegen/manufacturer code, and the 1210072 is an AR part number.

Roy

Thanks Roy. I think Tonegen was a Japanese maker of speakers. What about a number like 12638 on a woofer with an AR P/N 12100032?

Hey Carl,

You are correct, Tonegen was in Japan, and the primary manufacturer of AR drivers from sometime in the 80's onward. Tonegen was also the best source of AB Tech replacement drivers for quite awhile until Tonegen went out of business. If there is no "TN" in the code it is not Tonegen...probably an older or later manufacturing code of some type. Most of the new AB Tech replacement drivers are sourced from China, and have codes I am not familiar with (nor a sound I am familiar with :-)). I doubt any of these later drivers would have original AR parts numbers on them.

Roy

Archived