Ultimate bottom end test of my new 3a's

ironlake

If you have the Hammond Castle organ lp one side has a section that ads 16 hz to the 32 hz section and is an ultimale test for any speaker. My 3a's were doing fine rattiling the house with the 32 hz section just before the 16 hz section was added, When the 16 hz came in one plate fell off the wall in the kitchen, Wife wasn;t home so a quick cleanup and replacement and was very happy that these speakers can go to the lowest sound any pipe organ can make. I know that our church organ has a 32 foot pipe that I had the organ player play by itself and you feel more vibration in youjr body than you hear. She said it is used to reinforce the impact of the 32 hz pipe for effect on certain recordings.

If you are a bassophile this recording is a must.

The 32 foot pipe is a closed pipe so it is a full wave pipe to give the 16 cycles.

It is an older audiophile record by Douglas Marshall and titled The Hammond Castle Organ. The groves where the 16 cycle pipe comes in must be spaced 1/16 of an inch apart and are very visable on the vinyl itself. You will have to check the vinyl places like Music Stack etc to find it as it was never popular. The only way to record that low of hz would be on a cd recorder which I do not have or I would do it for you. I have a top end sony reel to reel and it can;t record that low and cassette forget it. I am using a ar 77xb table with a shure v15 type 5 MR cartridge to play it.

Another top notch record is the ;telarc recording ot the 1812 overture on the cannon shots. The only recording that do the shots justice are the vinyl version with the initals SR carved on the inner groove which stands for Stan Ricker who did the early pressing with the full dynamc range on . If the are mastering signatures of other letters it was cut back as only the high track shures could track those shots with out flying out of the groove. Again you can see on the vinyl the grooves where the cannon shots come in and you better have the volume down and no bass boost or you can shoot the cones right out of the woofers.

I can;t speak for the cd version telarc did as to the range off the cannons but if you get one keep the volume down at first when playing the canon shots.

What record label is that recording on and what pieces are recorded? I looked around the internet but couldn't seem to find anything specific. I did find a forum that said that the organ at the Hammond Castle has been mostly dismantled.

I have the CD of the TELARC 1812. I haven't really dared to play it since I got my AR-10pi's going! When I get a more worthy amp, I'll give it a go. I have never had the LP version of this recording.

One of my favorite organ recordings is TELARC's The Great Organ at Methuen - Playing Bach by Michael Murray. The first tract Fantasia and Fuge in G minor is glorious.

I agree on the great organ. I have it on direct to disc which eliminates the digital format all to gether. The hammond record is on the Decibel Record Label . Song with the 16 hz section is Rigaudon by Andre Campra. Also on it are Final in B flat Major by Cesar Franck The Little Fugue by Bach, Carillon De WestMinister by Vierne. Try I got my hammond lp through Music Stack which is connected to tons of record stores. You might also try Gemm .com for another large lp store. With the reviveal of the lp these stores are doing great business. Also try ebay as many lps ore on there now. As an organ fan the hammond lp is a must

Do you have the crystal clear direct to disc lps of the organ at the old church before the crystal catheral with virgel fox, great stuff, also available on cd but not as good in my opinion. check out the direct to disc category on ebay as many good organ recordings are there and the direct to disc process lets all frequencies get on the lp. no limitations of the recording equiptment.

Archived