AR-1

ninohernes

Currently my AR collection consists of my Grandfathers pair of AR-2's which I use in my recording studio, I run them with a 60 watt per channel Hafler amp and a Dynaco PAS-2 preamp, they are completely original. Next is a pair of AR-3's which I bought and restored. I would like to add an AR-1 to my collection. This way I would have all three important classic AR speakers. How does the AR-1 sound? I have never heard one before. This speaker would be more for show than for use, although, I would keep it in working condition. Where can I find one for a reasonable price? I am a student in high school, and I don’t have much money to spend. Most on ebay go for quite a lot. My parents are hi fi enthusiasts, so having speakers, cables, and recording equipment everywhere doesn’t bother them! Lucky me! And whats the difference between the AR-1 and the AR-1w?

The AR-1 had some sort of 8" tweeter (Western Electric I think ?) in addition to the famous 12" woofer.

The AR-1w is the woofer only version. If someone bought the AR-1w, they would be using separate tweeters.

The AR-1 is most likely harder to find due to a shorter production run. I think either version would complement your collection, as the AR-1's main contribution to the audio world was its woofer.

Now, all you need to get yourself is an AR-4.

I have 2, one fully functioning and one running the woofer only (mid needs help but I'm not cracking the beast open). I put both on a 30 wpc channel ss receiver and am quite pleased with the sound. Try to hit your local thrift stores and you may find one (or 2)like I did.

Archived