ar 3 question

ironlake

On the 3 woofer with the cloth surround, what is the extra foam like material that goes from the dust cap part of the way out to the edge for. I do not see it on the foam surround version, and does it make a difference in sound.

I just bit the bullet and purchased two restored ar 3a,s that are beautiful and one has the cloth surround and the other has the foam surround which is replace with new foam. These speakers have been completely restored with new caps pots foam surround on one woofer new putty on the woofers, and sanded wood and refinished with new grill cloth. Look beautiful and sound fine.

Now looking at another ar3a in a pawn shop, I see a woofer with a foam surround but still has the extra foam around the dust cap. There must be at least 3 different woofers for the 3a. The one with the cloth surround and extra foam ring, same woofer cone but foam surround and then the one without the extra woofer cone and foam surround. I wonder what magnet the one with the old style cone and foam surround has.

Archived