AR 4x question

ironlake

I just replaced the tweeter level control on my 4x with a new one. I debated on the capacitor as the one in there was a nice big silver plastic covered one with screws on top to connect the wires to,. It looked like a real quality one so I left it in. I also replaced the woofer foam gasket with putty to seal the woofer and also sealed the cloth surround with some stuff I got from simply speakers. sounds fantastic especially the deep bass is superb now with the woofer sealed good.

My main question did I make a mistake not changing the capacitor????????

Without any cap test info, it's hard to answer your question. In fact, you and your ears are the best judge of your speaker's sound. Try the toilet paper tube test to ensure the tweeter is indeed playing and run your new pot up and down during the TPTTest to ensure the pot is doing its job.

Was there any printed information on the cap? If it said Compulytic, you made no mistake. My testing of these caps has so far confirmed they are of very good quality and drift very little.

Good as it said compulytic on it and it looked like it was an aluminum outside tube, very professional looking and the tweeter now works fine. The speaker level control I got from ar parts is backwords from the one in the speaker as when I go to the reduce position I get tweeter boost and tweeter cut on the boost side. Not going to change it as It works fine otherwise and and I replaced the foam woofer gasket with the putty I ordered with the other parts. I cant believe the difference in deep bass I have with sealing the cloth surround and the clay like gasket I put under the speaker. this speaker really has deep bass. I run the tweeter on full and the tone control on mid position.

The amazing part of all of this is I am using a restored klh model 21 radio to power the 4x and it really benefits from the speaker like 100% better than the little speaker in the 21.

Archived