Looking for new info on 4xa-8-6 replacement tweeter

HarryM

Hi,it's me again.I just picked up a pair of AR-8's.Yes I know,nobody likes them but after repairing the woofer and leaving them on the floor,there not a bad sounding speaker.The problem I have is one of the tweeters was replaced with a 4x tweeter which is way to bright and doesn't fit.I found a thread from April 2010 where RoyC mentioned that he was working with Ebays vintage AR on a new replacement.RoyC if you are reading this,has anything come of that.I also noticed that the

AR-7 used the same tweeter but also used another one,part # 1200014-3 which was also used in the 7x,17,18 and 25.Would that be a good replacement for it.I have a pair of 25's and the tweeter looks the same as the one in 8.Does anybody have any ideas on this.What other option have been tried,what worked,what didn't work.

Thanks,Harry.

Hi Harry,

The conclusion I reached was any iteration of the AR 1 1/4" tweeter is a better match than a modern replacement. There are front and back wired versions, as well as some with slightly larger magnets, but any of them would most likely be a better match to the original woofer and crossover of your 8's. Some form of this tweeter was used in many models, so they can still be found.

Roy

Archived