question about bozak

vintagesound

hi, im new here and am hoping for some help. i just picked up a pair of speakers at an estate sale. one of them has bozak b302-a on the back. the other has nothing on it. it's shaped different from the other. it stands on legs, is square, and looks like other bozaks on the internet. but, when shining a flashlight into the front, i only see a woofer, a midrange or tweeter in the upper right hand corner, and a rectangular port at the very bottom. does anyone know if this sounds like a bozak and was there a speaker in the bottom that missing. they both sound great but i need to know what i have and is it complete. thanks for any help.

the best place to get answers to your Bozak questions is here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bozak_speakers/

Sign on and ask away.

I worked recently on a pair of 302's. The woofer has two tweeters mounted to the front of it. You may want to consider doing a Tobin upgrade to the crossover.

I don't remember there being a hole on the bottom. IIRC, Bozak speakers were basically, large close boxes with cotton batting lining. Anyway, that Yahoo group is where the experts and enthusiasts reside....

Here's another thread at audiokarma.org worth seeing. It's got pics of the insides of a 302a.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=392854

Hello, thanks for your help. Ok, the one speaker I have must not be a b302-a. It must be a different model though. It has all of the padding inside, but I only see 2 speakers and the port at the bottom. I did read where some models have the bass port though. Maybe i need to take picture and post it. Any other comments would be welcome.

Hello, thanks for your help. Ok, the one speaker I have must not be a b302-a. It must be a different model though. It has all of the padding inside, but I only see 2 speakers and the port at the bottom. I did read where some models have the bass port though. Maybe i need to take picture and post it. Any other comments would be welcome.

Are you sure your woofers don't have tweeters mounted on the front of them? The pics at the AK.org site shows this and the ones I worked on had that arrangement.

Are you sure your woofers don't have tweeters mounted on the front of them? The pics at the AK.org site shows this and the ones I worked on had that arrangement.

No, there is nothing on the front, and i just removed the back to find a surprise. Not sure if its a bozak. It has Jim Lansing speakers inside. One model 130 a woofer, and one horn. A model N1200 crossover. They also say 16 ohm. I think that the bozak is 8 ohm. can i use thise together with a 8 ohm marantz receiver?

No, there is nothing on the front, and i just removed the back to find a surprise. Not sure if its a bozak. It has Jim Lansing speakers inside. One model 130 a woofer, and one horn. A model N1200 crossover. They also say 16 ohm. I think that the bozak is 8 ohm. can i use thise together with a 8 ohm marantz receiver?

If you are certain the drivers are JBL, then you've got a big problem. The N1200 crossover seems correct for the original Bozak. Go to the AK.org site and compare your speakers to the ones in the pic at the link I sent you. Those are Bozak drivers.

If you have Lansing drivers, you will have to get a new crossover designed and built. IF you don't like the sound of what you have. If you do, the JUST ENJOY THEM.

Thanks Carl, im sure that they are the james lansing drivers. Maybe it was a bozak and the man replaced the drivers with the JBL's. It sounds good but I dont know about them being 16 ohm's while the bozak is 8 ohms. My receiver is 8 ohms. Thanks again.

I suspect the JBL's are 8 ohms. OTOH, many Bozak drivers were 16 ohm and the crossover was adjustable for 8 or 16 ohm.

Archived