AR 5 Crossover problem

Ibis

Hi Guys

Im restoring a pair of AR5 s and have just received a replacement pair of tweeters from the US as both the old ones were blown. The new teeters work fine when tested independently but when I put them back in the 5s they are not working, so I guessed there was connection problem. I cleaned the pots and have done all the obvious things but still no sound, I wondered if there is a crossover component that may have blown ?

Interestingly the old blown tweeters that I took out were AR replacement ones (the cabinet hole had been slightly enlarged at one point to fit the terminal) , this suggested that there may be an ongoing component problem which may have blown the original factory ones and the second replacement tweeters?

Obviously I dont want to risk my new replacements as they are a bit like hens teeth over here in the UK !

Any thoughts would be most welcome

Thanks

I tested my crossover and pots in my 2ax's by hot wiring a full range test speaker to the terminals that come through the front of the cabinet. It's a good rough test to see if things are working.

I don't know how the crossover frequencies of the AR-5 compare to the 2ax but the 2ax tweeter operation may not be apparent on some types of music. You could try holding a tube up to your ear to the tweeter to see if it's working. Be sure to select music with high frequencies that are easy to distinguish.

Good luck!

I tested my crossover and pots in my 2ax's by hot wiring a full range test speaker to the terminals that come through the front of the cabinet. It's a good rough test to see if things are working.

I don't know how the crossover frequencies of the AR-5 compare to the 2ax but the 2ax tweeter operation may not be apparent on some types of music. You could try holding a tube up to your ear to the tweeter to see if it's working. Be sure to select music with high frequencies that are easy to distinguish.

Good luck!

Thanks Tom,

good idea using a full range speaker to test and the tube!

I can hear that they are not working in the cabinet so it must be a crossover / pots problem just wondered if theres a weak spot I should check first

I guess Im going to have to buy and learn how to use a multi meter.

Cheers

Have you or prior owners recapped them? If caps are original, they may have died.

Hi Carlspeak

Recapping, excuse my ignorance Im not very familiar with crossovers, is that replacing the capacitors ?

If so do I just buy the same values as the originals, is it possible to test them?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Carlspeak

Recapping, excuse my ignorance Im not very familiar with crossovers, is that replacing the capacitors ?

If so do I just buy the same values as the originals, is it possible to test them?

Thanks

Ian

Yes, replacing capacitors is a common practice with vintage speakers.

Yes, by the same values you have - assuming they are the original components. You can test caps, but you need two meters. A LCR and ESR meter to do a proper set of tests. If this is your only project of this kind, just replace the caps. It will be less expensive that buying new meters.

Archived