Center channel

Guest Brian_D

Guest Brian_D

OK, here goes. I've secured a pair of AR18B's for my home theater setup (I know, not the perfect match for the 9's, but it's close)

Now for a center channel. I was thinking of building my own because AR obviously didn't have that market in mind in the 70's! Here are my options as I see them:

Find original drivers (2 ?(8/10/12)", the midrange from the 9's, and the tweeter from the 9's as well) and build a crossover/box for them. (could get expensive, and are the drivers even available?)

-or-

Find a pair of AR91's and trade(?) the 12's for 8's? (or just use the 12's and have a bitchin' center! (If I was going to do that, I could just find an odd AR90 and I would be set, crossover included!)

-or-

Start from scratch with modern drivers and do my best.

Obviously I have no idea where to go from here... HELP!

Guest Brian_D

What's the deal with the message all running together? anyway, I just went to Layne Audio and found that they have ALL the parts I need to do the 8" mid/woofer, the 1.5" midrange and the 3/4" tweeter. I can get them all for $260 plus shipping.

Add to that crossover parts and cabinet stuff... jeez. That's more than I paid for my 9's and 18B's combined.

Well, any suggestions would be great.

Guest Brian_D

>I'm not sure what you mean .. your message looks fine to me.

>

>Mark

>

Huh, that's weird. My original message was all ran together with no line breaks before. Anyway, it looks fine now.

Archived