Classic Altec Speakers

Hello,

I have a co-worker who came by a set of Altec 9849A studio monitors. His deceased son in law

was some sort of an electronics guru, and these were his originally. I am trying to find out

any information on them other than a scanned one page brochure I found on an Altec site. I am

trying to obtain information as to original list price, and if any original parts or upgrades

are available. My friend wants to sell them, but I have no clue as to what to tell him about

their current value since they obviously were not one of Altec's more popular or collectable

products.

thanks

Hello,

I have a co-worker who came by a set of Altec 9849A studio monitors. His deceased son in law

was some sort of an electronics guru, and these were his originally. I am trying to find out

any information on them other than a scanned one page brochure I found on an Altec site. I am

trying to obtain information as to original list price, and if any original parts or upgrades

are available. My friend wants to sell them, but I have no clue as to what to tell him about

their current value since they obviously were not one of Altec's more popular or collectable

products.

thanks

Hi there

You may wish to check out ebuy for a value.

Thanks for the information. From what I can gather, the -8A model

seemed to have been a definite improvement over the basic model that

my friend has. There are 2 of them for sale on E-Bay, 1 each from

2 individual sellers. Not sure how you end up with only one boat

anchor of a speaker, but E-Bay does have some strange listings from

time to time.

I may offer him cash, and try to upgrade them to the -8A models.

(Better crossover frequency and improved horns.) They were buried

in a back room, so I have only been able to audition 1 so far.

Archived