Different AR 1 Woofers

patteeecakes

Hello everyone. Having checked out this site for the last few weeks, I finally decided to register. I purchased a pair of AR 1 speakers at an estate sale. Removed the grills and found the glue on the surround and spider of one of the woofers was deteriorated and no longer attached. The serial numbers are 16981 and 16986. I have seen woofers pop up on fleabay every once and a while for the 1 series but none look the same. My cones have the circular ribs but no foam around the dust cap like the 3's. The basket is flat on 2 sides for clearance when mounting.Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, would there be any difference in sound or resistance? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The early AR woofers went thru some changes in the early years. Check the AR3a restoration document section on woofers. There are pictures there of just about all of the 11" flat sided woofer iterations.

If the surround (is it cloth?) and spider are completely unglued, you'll have to remove the dust cap* and place a shim around the voice coil. Then lift the cone assembly up and put glue all around underneath the shims the surround and spider are glued to. Push down the cone assembly to seat the shims into the glue. Press down all around both the surround and spider and let dry overnight.

Carefully remove the shim and you should be all set after you have glued the dust cap back down.

The AR1 Alnico magnet woofers are rugged. All they usually need is a repair job and they will be good for years to come.

* you don't have to completly remove the DC. Cut around the base of it with a sharp knife, but not all the way around. This will allow you to raise the DC up enough to insert the shim. I find a .010 (10 mil) shim works well for this job. Be careful to not let any debris fall into the gap between the pole piece and voice coil.

The early AR woofers went thru some changes in the early years. Check the AR3a restoration document section on woofers. There are pictures there of just about all of the 11" flat sided woofer iterations.

If the surround (is it cloth?) and spider are completely unglued, you'll have to remove the dust cap* and place a shim around the voice coil. Then lift the cone assembly up and put glue all around underneath the shims the surround and spider are glued to. Push down the cone assembly to seat the shims into the glue. Press down all around both the surround and spider and let dry overnight.

Carefully remove the shim and you should be all set after you have glued the dust cap back down.

The AR1 Alnico magnet woofers are rugged. All they usually need is a repair job and they will be good for years to come.

* you don't have to completly remove the DC. Cut around the base of it with a sharp knife, but not all the way around. This will allow you to raise the DC up enough to insert the shim. I find a .010 (10 mil) shim works well for this job. Be careful to not let any debris fall into the gap between the pole piece and voice coil.

Thanks for the info. My problem is someone already tried fixing once and hacked it up something awful.They play without the voice coil rubbing but I want to be able to use them to their full potential and am looking into getting it fixed hopefully without having to recone. Is it possible to find replacement spiders and/ or surrounds? Thank you for any advice.

Archived