BUYING CLASSIC ARS ON EBAY

roundhome

I have learned some not so fun lessons just now on Ebay . I Bought a pair of AR58s. Ad said new foam on woofers. If i had wired them and turned up the power the would have shot out of the speaker. They had cut down a 12" foam and spliced it in. Then there was only enough glue to hold them in place i just peeled them off .

The next one was some TSW510s. The ad said drivers in good shape. they arrived with two different bose woofers and no names mids. I just ate allot of money on speakers and shipping.

any input out there. on my ignorance

Roundhome :-(

Sorry to hear that. So goes the world of Ebay. I think buying speakers off eBay is a little risky and you need to assume a worse case senerio before you bid too high on items. Always ask the seller in depth questions. You will get a sense of how trustworthy they are by their reply.I've been pretty lucky. I bought a pair of small A/D/S speakers that the cones were shot. I e-mailed the seller saying he mis- represented the condition and he refunded all my money minus shipping. Better luck next time!

Guest Brian_D

I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. I would be wary of anyone selling classic speakers on Ebay. First of all: why would you ever let go a pair of AR classics? And even if you did, very little research would ne neccesary to find a place like this where AR's are welcomed into the homes of the members.

I'm lucky to have never been burnt on an Ebay deal yet. The day will come I'm sure, but I hope to heavens it isn't on something as important as my stereo equipment!

As far as the speakers you have: the cabinets and crossover components are still very high quality pieces. If you cannot find AR replacement drivers, some very nice ones "fit the holes" and can be found at Parts Express. Match as closely as possible the T/S (Theile/Small) measurements and resistance and you can aproximate the sound of these classics.

Good luck!

Thank you brian. I was just reading up on your what do you do. I have about 70 macs starting with a 128k and two lisa's.

we all live and learn. i'm the same as you don't like learning at the expence of my music. these were going to be used with my pioneer quad system so i wanted them all to be matching and still need one matching mid for my LSTII.

Jim Fencl

roundhouse@sisna.com

I have been very lucky (or carefull) with my ebay purchases, and have had only a couple minor problems.

Ask detailed questions, and request close up's of the drivers. If something doesn't make sense, don't bid.

Read the seller's feedback, several positive posts, and ALL of the negative and neutrals.

My purchases have included a pair of refoamed AR9's, a pair that requires refoaming, a pair of refoamed AR91.5, a pair of AR93's that require refoaming - and possibly a blown driver (the seller made the condition and history of the speakers very clear), a pair of AR18S that need refoaming, and several AR 8" woofers that need refoaming.

Nigel

Archived