AR11 and HiVi Q1R

Rubber Duck

Hi

I have replaced my blown AR11 tweeters with the HiVi Q1R and have also replaced all the caps. they fit nicely. I didnt use the inductor with the HiVis that was recommended for the AR3a. They seems to be OK although they may be a bit bright. I can control this with the switch on the back.

I am a bit concerned as the Q1R is a 6 omh speaker where the originals were 4 ohm. Also they are only rated at 15 watts nominal power handeling 30 watts max.

Should I be concerned with any of this?

You guys have been very helpful to me so thanks.

The AR-11 already has an inductor across the tweeter, so no need to add another.

If you want the tweeter to look like a 4 Ohm resistance to the cross-over, you can mount a 12 Ohm resistor across the tweeter terminals, this will also bring the output from the tweeter down a little.

The power handling capability of the tweeter is adequate for use in the AR-11, since the highest frequencies has very little energy in them (relatively).

BRgds Klaus

The AR-11 already has an inductor across the tweeter, so no need to add another.

If you want the tweeter to look like a 4 Ohm resistance to the cross-over, you can mount a 12 Ohm resistor across the tweeter terminals, this will also bring the output from the tweeter down a little.

The power handling capability of the tweeter is adequate for use in the AR-11, since the highest frequencies has very little energy in them (relatively).

BRgds Klaus

Thank you

Some questions

With the switches on the back of the ar11s it looks like to reduce the volume in the mid and treble, the switch engages a 1.5 or 3 ohm resistor I think in series with the cuircut. If i put a 12 ohm resistor parallel to the tweeter I lower resistance (6 ohm tweeter looks like 4 ohm to the amp)and also lower high range volume? What is happening here? Im not an electronic wizard by any means so some clarification would be aprpeciated.

Thanks

Some questions

With the switches on the back of the ar11s it looks like to reduce the volume in the mid and treble, the switch engages a 1.5 or 3 ohm resistor I think in series with the cuircut. If i put a 12 ohm resistor parallel to the tweeter I lower resistance (6 ohm tweeter looks like 4 ohm to the amp)and also lower high range volume? What is happening here? Im not an electronic wizard by any means so some clarification would be aprpeciated.

Thanks

The parallel resistor will reduce the tweeter's overall output, so it will make the series resistor switch of the AR-11 provide more attenuation at each setting. (Speakers with pots or l-pads continuously vary both series and parallel resistance to provide a much greater range of attenuation.)

The HiVi tweeter has a different response than the original AR-11 tweeter, as it naturally extends a bit further into the midrange frequencies. This has more to do with mechanical properties than dcr. The HiVi Q1R, therefore, overlaps a bit more with the midrange driver than the original tweeter, possibly creating the brightness you mentioned. If the parallel resistor doesn't work, you can try a parallel inductor of the same value as the one already in the AR-11 circuit (.1mh). This will reduce the tweeter's contribution to the upper midrange frequencies without affecting the very highest frequencies. Total parallel inductance would be changed to .05mh.

Roy

Thanks Roy

Can anyone tell me what the dB loss would be using the 12ohm resistor across the tweeter terminals?

Probably less than 1dB...not much. Another possible advantage of the parallel resistor is it will reduce the impedance of the tweeter circuit, which will in turn raise the tweeter's crossover frequency slightly. This may be desirable given the differences I mentioned above between the HiVi tweeter and the original. The parallel resistor is the first thing to try.

Roy

Probably less than 1dB...not much. Another possible advantage of the parallel resistor is it will reduce the impedance of the tweeter circuit, which will in turn raise the tweeter's crossover frequency slightly. This may be desirable given the differences I mentioned above between the HiVi tweeter and the original. The parallel resistor is the first thing to try.

Roy

Thanks

I will give that a try.

JB

Archived