AR2ax loose woofer question

longdrive03

Hi everyone. First post here. I recently bought a pair of 2ax (unfinished pine) and AR4 (unfinished pine) at an estate sale. (Also pickup up Dynaco ST 70 Dynakit amp, PAS preamp and FM-3 tuner) Sold the AR4's on ebay (probably too cheap). Been reading on replacing the pots (lpads) on the 2ax and bought 4 8 ohm 50 watt lpads. I notice one of the woofer cones wasn't glued to the frame and reglued with black silicone. No rubbing of the vc and seem to work fine. The other one was also loose and then noticed the spider wasn't glued down on both cones.

Question: Should I try to reglue the spider and cone myself or get them to a reconer to do the job. These are cloth surround woofers (serial numbers 03399 and 03401) The cones look good for their age. If I try to reglue any suggestions on what to use on the spider? Will normal silicone work on the cone/frame connection.

Trying to get these to the point where I can use new caps/pots and sell. I've built new grill frames for them. Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone. First post here. I recently bought a pair of 2ax (unfinished pine) and AR4 (unfinished pine) at an estate sale. (Also pickup up Dynaco ST 70 Dynakit amp, PAS preamp and FM-3 tuner) Sold the AR4's on ebay (probably too cheap). Been reading on replacing the pots (lpads) on the 2ax and bought 4 8 ohm 50 watt lpads. I notice one of the woofer cones wasn't glued to the frame and reglued with black silicone. No rubbing of the vc and seem to work fine. The other one was also loose and then noticed the spider wasn't glued down on both cones.

Question: Should I try to reglue the spider and cone myself or get them to a reconer to do the job. These are cloth surround woofers (serial numbers 03399 and 03401) The cones look good for their age. If I try to reglue any suggestions on what to use on the spider? Will normal silicone work on the cone/frame connection.

Trying to get these to the point where I can use new caps/pots and sell. I've built new grill frames for them. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to CSP!

The voice coils should be centered before re-gluing, like replacing foam surrounds...not easy to do by eye.

Roy

Hi there

Roy gave you excellent advice.

Do not use silcone or epoxy to glue down anything involving speaker drivers.

Archived