Holographic M5/6 manual?

Andrej

Hi everybody,

a new owner of M5 here - wondering if anyone knows which speaker is supposed to be left/right, as brochure states that Holographic series has asymetric tweeters?

I've seen pics on internet that clearly shows that the position of tweeters is different, but mine are the same? :unsure:

Almost like two left shoes? (or right?) Does anyone have manual for them?

Any help much appreciated!

Hi everybody,

a new owner of M5 here - wondering if anyone knows which speaker is supposed to be left/right, as brochure states that Holographic series has asymetric tweeters?

I've seen pics on internet that clearly shows that the position of tweeters is different, but mine are the same? :unsure:

Almost like two left shoes? (or right?) Does anyone have manual for them?

Any help much appreciated!

Hello Andrej,

You may have already seen this brochure, however, it may be useful in clarifying the speaker you have.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/holographic_series_1990/holographic_series_brochure/holographic_series_brochure.pdf

There does not appear to be a lot of information on the holographic series on this site or elsewhere.

> it may be useful in clarifying the speaker you have.

Thank you for you reply, and greetings from New Zealand (Christchurch)

I know I have M5 but note the text on page 2:

"Wider imaging area - Imaging is no longer appreciated just in the 'sweet spot'. The ASYMMETRICAL OFFSET of the tweeter on it's baffle improves imaging over a wider listening angle (Fig. B )'

And on page 4:

"All Holographic Imaging Speakers are designated left and right"

Looking at the photos on the net and the brochure, it is clear this speakers have different positions of left and right tweeter units. Mine do not - both have tweeter on the left side. My guess is that they where sold that way by mistake - two left or two right ones.

I can easily open and switch one of them from left to right, but even then I can only guess which one is now which

And there is the additional issue that I dont know if the tweeter's position on the case is the only thing that makes them have the ASYMMETRICAL OFFSET - or if they also have to be rotated/flipped on there axis, or are maybe even physically different tweeter units for left and right speakers?

> There does not appear to be a lot of information on the holographic series on this site or elsewhere.

Yes - noticed that too, therefore was hoping to find someone that may have the manual on this site? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrej

• 8 months later...

> it may be useful in clarifying the speaker you have.

Thank you for you reply, and greetings from New Zealand (Christchurch)

I know I have M5 but note the text on page 2:

"Wider imaging area - Imaging is no longer appreciated just in the 'sweet spot'. The ASYMMETRICAL OFFSET of the tweeter on it's baffle improves imaging over a wider listening angle (Fig. B )'

And on page 4:

"All Holographic Imaging Speakers are designated left and right"

Looking at the photos on the net and the brochure, it is clear this speakers have different positions of left and right tweeter units. Mine do not - both have tweeter on the left side. My guess is that they where sold that way by mistake - two left or two right ones.

I can easily open and switch one of them from left to right, but even then I can only guess which one is now which

And there is the additional issue that I dont know if the tweeter's position on the case is the only thing that makes them have the ASYMMETRICAL OFFSET - or if they also have to be rotated/flipped on there axis, or are maybe even physically different tweeter units for left and right speakers?

> There does not appear to be a lot of information on the holographic series on this site or elsewhere.

Yes - noticed that too, therefore was hoping to find someone that may have the manual on this site? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrej

According to the very favorable review written by Julian Hirsch (Then the dean of High Fidelity Equipment Experts and co-founder of the famous Hirsch-Houck Lab) in Stereo Review in 1991 on the M-4's, the instructions are to have the tweeter on the front faceplate on the outside edge of the speaker when facing the listening area.

In other words, the left speaker should have the tweeter on the left side of the speaker and the right speaker, etc.

I do know that this creates a very broad soundstage that is very spacious and realistic with live recordings or movies.

Enjoy:)!!

Archived