AR9 Woofer Section

Guest dogmeninreno

Guest dogmeninreno

Does anyone know if the AR9 woofer section is supposed to be filled with fiberglass? This set seems not to have been tampered with and when I opened it to get the woofers refoamed, it appears to not have been filled?

Guest Barrydor

The AR9 woofer section is not supposed to be filled with fiberglass.

Four rolls of fiberglass were rolled up relatively tightly and glued into the top of the enclosure. If you look inside and up you will see them. The bottom of the enclosure is empty of fiberglass.

There is an engineering drawing of the AR9 assembly on the forum that shows this. The AR9 owners manual on the forum describes the reasoning for this construction.

Barry

Guest dogmeninreno

>The AR9 woofer section is not supposed to be filled with

>fiberglass.

>

>Four rolls of fiberglass were rolled up relatively tightly

>and glued into the top of the enclosure. If you look inside

>and up you will see them. The bottom of the enclosure is

>empty of fiberglass.

>

>There is an engineering drawing of the AR9 assembly on the

>forum that shows this. The AR9 owners manual on the forum

>describes the reasoning for this construction.

>

>Barry

Barry, Just in time, I'll reinstall the woofers now, Thanks...Dale in Reno.....

Re: Installing your AR-9 woofers, Dale - I've noticed that further tightening was possible within a week's time of replacement. I'm not sure why this was (they were pretty darned tight to begin with), but each bolt could be made just a bit tighter. They haven't budged since then, though!

Guest Barrydor

How do you folks ensure a good seal to the enclosure when you replace AR drivers?

The seal between the driver flange and the enclosure is critical. Originally, AR used a cork gasket to seal the driver flange to the enclosure. The AR owners manual recommends not reusing the gaskets when the drivers are replaced. When I removed the woofers and lower mid from my AR9s, I could see why they gave this advice.

In my case, the gaskets were flattened, deformed and torn to the point where I doubted they could be reused. The MDF mounting surface was relatively rough and obviously a gasket was necessary. I also felt that overtightening the mounting nuts to obtain a good seal might deform the driver basket and affect the voice coil centering. Unfortunately, I was unable to obtain suitable replacement gaskets.

I used Home Depot rope caulk to form new gaskets. The material comes in a long strip which has seven ridges. I tore off a piece two ridges wide and applied it around the periphery of the driver mounting surface. I flattened the material with a finger until it covered the entire surface and approximated the thickness of the original gasket. Then I pushed the mounting holes in the new gasket from the inside while holding the material in place from the outside. Using an X-acto knife, I removed the excess material from the outside where the new holes were formed.

When I mounted the drivers, I tightened all of the mounting screws by hand. I then tightened them 1/4 turn at a time using a pattern of N, S, W, E, NE, SW, NW, SE repeatedly in order to distribute the torque, assure roughly equal torque, obtain a good seal and avoid deforming the basket. This is similar to the tightening approach that is used when replacing an automobile engine head gasket.

This approach worked well for me and I have had no problems since. I was wondering, however, if there is a better approach and whether replacement gaskets are actually available somewhere in case I ever have to replace the drivers again.

Also, the terminal board on AR woofers is attached with a single rivet. On several woofers, I noticed that the rivet was loose, which allowed the terminal board to rock back and forth. I felt that if the terminal board moved substantially away from the correct position during the installation of the wiring, it could cause a situation where one of the wires leading to the cone could be pulled overly tight. The wire could then be stressed and broken later when the cone moved back and forth. Because of this, I like to ensure that the terminal board is in the correct position and apply some epoxy to secure it to the basket before reinstalling the driver.

Barry

Archived