List of AR-90s cap values

dtotheatothevtothee

I was wondering if someone had a listing of all the capacitor values for a pair of AR-90s. I'm looking to see how much it would cost to replace all the caps, but I'm not very good at reading schematics. I have someone to rebuild the speaker if I supply the parts.

There's an excellent set of schematics in the Library section of this web page along with a few other interesting articles regarding this speaker. You will be amazed at the difference a new set of caps will make.

Sweet thanks for the list...couple of questions though...

If they don't offer a 350uF can I get a 200uF and a 150uF and tie them together. Are these caps going to be larger size-wise than the factory ones?

I don't know how much of an improvement I will notice as I haven't listened to the speakers in 10+ years and not with a good amp in over 15 years.

I'm sure they will sound a million times better than my Bose SoundDock, VAF Octavio and iPod headphones I've been stuck using the last several years!! Especially sine I'll have a turntable hooked up to them. Haha.

FWIW, I would use non-polar electrolytics for anything bigger than 25-30uf..I'd be shocked if you noticed a difference with the large poly vs. NPE caps, and it'll save a lot of coin.

...If they don't offer a 350uF can I get a 200uF and a 150uF and tie them together... Haha.

Yes, you may Parallel multiple capacitors to achieve a sum value. (Wire them in parallel, NOT series) The voltage rating on the capacitor with the smallest capacitance is the circuit's effective voltage rating.

(Half way down this page... http://www.aikenamps.com/AddingComponents.htm)

-deek

Yes, you may Parallel multiple capacitors to achieve a sum value. (Wire them in parallel, NOT series) The voltage rating on the capacitor with the smallest capacitance is the circuit's effective voltage rating.

(Half way down this page... http://www.aikenamps.com/AddingComponents.htm)

-deek

The poly caps will last longer and tend to have a steeper (faster) RC time constant.

The poly caps will last longer and tend to have a steeper (faster) RC time constant.

That's a great point. You should not mix cap types when combining to achieve a blended value. I'm not sure there would be any audible affect but it could mess with phasing at the highest frequencies.

There is a formula for calculating the effective time constraint of a blended circuit like that but it's been years since I've used it...

-deek

Archived