Original Large Advent renovation

Altecboy

These started out as a really beat up pair of Original Large Advents. The vinyl was shot. The corners were bashed in. A piece of the front molding was broken off.

I stripped the old vinyl using an iron. Next I sawed off 3/4" of the front molding. I clad the top bottom and sides with glued and nailed 1/4" plywood. Next came iron on red oak veneer. Then a new mitered hardwood front molding.

The interior got hardwood bracing, new poly caps, and a pair of new binding posts drilled above the cross-over opening. I paralleled these with the old binding posts. The wiring is soldered to the original solder lugs. I moved one tweeter over to mirror image the pair.

The finish is a mix of boiled linseed oil/spar varnish/mineral spirits. The inside is stuffed with 10 feet of 3" fiber glass.

Left to do is the grill cloth.

They sound pretty decent in my home theater setup. I use Microstatic Tweeters on top to help distribute the highs. Using the WT3 Woofer Tester, I measured 42.4 hz bass resonance and a QTS of 0.736

post-105869-1289588510.jpg

post-105869-1289588570.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

post-105869-1291128723_thumb.jpg

These started out as a really beat up pair of Original Large Advents. The vinyl was shot. The corners were bashed in. A piece of the front molding was broken off.

I stripped the old vinyl using an iron. Next I sawed off 3/4" of the front molding. I clad the top bottom and sides with glued and nailed 1/4" plywood. Next came iron on red oak veneer. Then a new mitered hardwood front molding.

The interior got hardwood bracing, new poly caps, and a pair of new binding posts drilled above the cross-over opening. I paralleled these with the old binding posts. The wiring is soldered to the original solder lugs. I moved one tweeter over to mirror image the pair.

The finish is a mix of boiled linseed oil/spar varnish/mineral spirits. The inside is stuffed with 10 feet of 3" fiber glass.

Left to do is the grill cloth.

They sound pretty decent in my home theater setup. I use Microstatic Tweeters on top to help distribute the highs. Using the WT3 Woofer Tester, I measured 42.4 hz bass resonance and a QTS of 0.736

Here is the final product with Carl's excellent grill cloth.

Archived