Recommended Stands & Positioning of AR2 ax?

ian hughes

Hi Guys

If this question has been answered (many times!) before please feel free to point me to the previous post/threads.

I am currently restoring my AR 2 ax's and plan to reinstate them in my main listening room. I recollect that AR always advised positioning them in the corner of the room and have previously positioned them on corner shelves (about 3' from the floor) and subsequently on low level floor stands (with castors) that were about 12" tall.

I'd now like to ustilise some lovely wooden stands that I have seen on ebay or possibly that I may even construct myself.

What are the recommendations from you guys regarding height of the speakers off the floor? Is it best to try and position them as close to the corners of the room as is practical? Any other views about things like weighted (filled) stands, floor spikes, rubber mats on platforms or these high-tech gell things?

The room has a fully carpeted but concrete floor. I have no recent experience of using some of the more current developments in speaker stands (such as spikes etc). And my hearing isn't up to 'audiophile' quality anymore, so I'm just looking for that good old AR sound I vaguely remember from my youth!

Ian

I have mine on 13" VTI metal center speaker stands with spikes to floor savers in my hardwood floors. I wouldn't go any higher. I think 8-13# is range to shoot for.

Spikes helped my bass response.

I do not put mine in coarners. They are on lond wall about 2.5-3 ft from corner and sound great.

I have mine on 13" VTI metal center speaker stands with spikes to floor savers in my hardwood floors. I wouldn't go any higher. I think 8-13# is range to shoot for.

Spikes helped my bass response.

I do not put mine in coarners. They are on lond wall about 2.5-3 ft from corner and sound great.

Thanks Shaky that's useful info.

Ian

Archived