Disaster

heland

Arrived home from a wedding in the early hours of yesterday morning to find youngest offspring and three friends full of cheer had come out for a visit.Lovely.That is until today when I went to play Eddie Vedder soundtrack to the movie'into the wild" really good!...no top end.I replaced the tweeters with spares I had but now need a pair of uppermids part no200032...this was not a good day!All I can assume is that he was running the adcom555 past the point where the distortion lights come on...a definate no-no in this house...would this be a likely scenario and cause such damage....If anybody has parts i would love to know...ideas even! As the stereo is the only vice we have...ok stretching it a little...I am feeling a little desperate Thought of AR-pro and his offer to fix(most), of the problems with these ...but postage from and to Australia is enough to make my already tenuous grasp on reality loosen and then there is just the void..with no sound.

regards

Andrew

Have just realized my 'original'AR9s are not...looking back through posts I gather that the 9s uppermid was part number 200028...the ones i have blown are 200032....was there much difference in them?

Arrived home from a wedding in the early hours of yesterday morning to find youngest offspring and three friends full of cheer had come out for a visit.Lovely.That is until today when I went to play Eddie Vedder soundtrack to the movie'into the wild" really good!...no top end.I replaced the tweeters with spares I had but now need a pair of uppermids part no200032...this was not a good day!All I can assume is that he was running the adcom555 past the point where the distortion lights come on...a definate no-no in this house...would this be a likely scenario and cause such damage....If anybody has parts i would love to know...ideas even! As the stereo is the only vice we have...ok stretching it a little...I am feeling a little desperate Thought of AR-pro and his offer to fix(most), of the problems with these ...but postage from and to Australia is enough to make my already tenuous grasp on reality loosen and then there is just the void..with no sound.

regards

Andrew

200032 are the mid range used for model AR-91/92, the largest of the three-way speakers from the AR-9 family. While the drivers do look alike, they were driven through a crossover feeding them 700-7500 Hz rather than the 1200-7000 spec in the AR-9/90. I have not heard what a 200032 would sound like in a 9 or 90, but I would assume they might be very difficult to tell apart from the 200028.

See AR Floorstanding Speakers

Are they both '32s and if so, how did they get in there?

Brian

What I thought were original9s may have had this problem before as both drivers are 200032's and the tweeters,whilst they are the correct numbers have different foam attaching velcro plastics.Think I had better troll old posts and look for fusing ideas!

200032 are the mid range used for model AR-91/92, the largest of the three-way speakers from the AR-9 family. While the drivers do look alike, they were driven through a crossover feeding them 700-7500 Hz rather than the 1200-7000 spec in the AR-9/90. I have not heard what a 200032 would sound like in a 9 or 90, but I would assume they might be very difficult to tell apart from the 200028.

See AR Floorstanding Speakers

Are they both '32s and if so, how did they get in there?

Brian

Are the capacitors original? I have seen earlier posts indicating out of spec caps overdriving upper mids and tweeters. The original non-polarized electrolytics used in speakers from that era simply were never made to last 25+ years. May be worth a check as well.

I can't vouch for the 200028/32 driver repair that Larry does at Vintage-AR, but have used him for many, many part purchases with excellent results.

yes ..all the caps have been changed within the last eighteen months.Have sent Larry a desperate few mails ...and he has been most helpful.

As well as the top end of the speakers blowing it also seems to have taken a channel from the cd player.An EE told me that it is possible and that when speakers blew a surge could go through the earth system and affected a sensative DAC...Is this possible/likely?.My goodness the bill is mounting for a first year apprentice carpenter!

Are the capacitors original? I have seen earlier posts indicating out of spec caps overdriving upper mids and tweeters. The original non-polarized electrolytics used in speakers from that era simply were never made to last 25+ years. May be worth a check as well.

I can't vouch for the 200028/32 driver repair that Larry does at Vintage-AR, but have used him for many, many part purchases with excellent results.

Archived