Is it O.K. to post scans of the Advent 6003 brochure?

I was wondering whether it would it be O.K., in other words legal, to post full/hi-res scans of the Advent 6003 brochure here. I am kind of fuzzy about copyright matters and don't want to get myself or this site's owners in hot water for doing so.

Thanks!

I work with copyrights in my day job, and the only thing we're ever sure of is that whatever precautions we take will not ensure that there will never be a problem. All we can say is if you scan and post something and someone comes along later to notify the admins that what you've posted is their copyrighted material, it will be taken down.

Try to keep your scans under 1 Mb each.

Thanks Genek.

I was afraid no one answered at first because this model was a "post Kloss" design and worst(?) of all, it was a three-way! ;)

I realize some people don't think Advents sold after H.K.'s departure were "real" Advents, and the fact the 6003 was a three-way instead of a 2-way probably made this model even less worthy in the eyes of those people.

But in my opinion Advent's ACTUAL "death" was in 1994 when Recoton Inc. purchased them and their sister brand Acoustic Research (International Jensen actually, their parent company). But until that time, unlike so many of their competitors - many of which had sunk into obscurity by building junk speakers, changed their philosophy so much they were nearly unrecognizable or outright went out of business - Advent continued to build speakers that remained 99% true to the originals.

For example, when pretty much every one of their competitors changed to the bass-reflex system, Advent continued to use the "uncool" acoustic-suspension system. When those same other brands bowed to market pressure and built speakers that soudned bright and punchy so they sounded good in a demo room, Advent's speakers continued to produce those warm and smooth sonics that for many music fans made listening to all types of music easy on the ears & made longer listening sessions possible than many of those "exciting" sounding brands.

And on a front that may seem unimportant to some, Advent's speakers were always e-z :) on the eyes with their warm wood finishes and furniture-like lines that actually complimented the room they were located in, or least didn't offend anyone. This was totally opposite of many of their competitors, who ended up styling their gear to look good in a modern architecture magazine, using cold and angular shapes plastered along with all-black color schemes - such speakers were jarring & unpleasant to look at in normal living rooms and made selling them difficult to many people especially married couples (I used to sell audio gear, including Advents, back in the early 90s).

And as far as the three-way issue, well, that's just a normal response to technological progress. When the CD format debuted in 1982 with its incredibly wide dynamic range and bass that could reach down to a true and unfettered 20Hz, the limitations of the two-way design became obstacles to reproducing what could be contained on those silver discs. But when a midrange driver was used, those obstacles were eliminated: now the tweeter's crossover point could be moved up and its power handling greatly increased and distortion reduced. And the woofer, freed from having to reproduce so much of the delicate midrange spectrum, could be better optimized for low bass and increased power handling. And again, true to Advent's do-their-own-thing philosophy the midrange driver itself was not "normal". Instead of a typical cone or dome driver, they used H.K.'s funky cone/dome concept seen in the tweeter used in the original Advents, more commonly known as the "fried egg" tweeters. Except this driver was 5" in diameter and used polypropylene instead of paper. Again, Advent stuck to their guns and avoided the bland, safe, me-too attitude so many other brands allowed themselves to adopt.

There were only two times I know of that Advent strayed from their normal path while under the control of International Jensen. One of these was the Mini Advent, which used a bass-reflex enclosure, probably because such a tiny speaker needed all the help it could get efficiency-wise for the uses it was designed for. But the biggest departure IMO was the Vision 500, a floorstander which used a type of bandpass enclosure for the bass spectrum and a separate (but attached) module for the upper bass/midrange driver and dome tweeter. And even though its slender lines were striking, it still retained Advent's signature home-friendly styling cues. You can check it out here, along with a disassembled one:

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/diffus.../advent-500.htm

I'll admit I am bit of a Luddite and do not like change for change's sake and usually only buy something new if it offers something truly better. But I have to admit the 500 helps (helped) keep the Advent name from seeming like some kind of old-fashioned & frumpy company unwilling to change, even in the face of new technologies that seem to offer better performance for the same or less money. And companies that stay completely static are at high risk of disappearing, especially with younger customers. So while no other model I know of adopted the 500's bandpass system or two-way + bass module configuration, just like with Chevy's Corvette, maybe if Advent had lived longer some of its truly useful technologies would have trickled down to the lesser models. But especially, the 500 let us know Advent's engineers were still open to new ideas and not sitting around pining for the old days.

That's what I think about the 6003 anyway. :)

Archived