Tube Amps & AR speakers

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well!

I have been trying to get my first tube amplifier, but want to make sure they can handle the wpc of AR speakers!

I'm trying to decide between the AR-2ax, AR-5, and AR-3a. I would like the AR-3a, but powering the beast is a worry. I've been looking at the Dynaco ST-70, and Fisher model 400, 500-C, and 800-C as possible choices, but wanted to hear what the forum's experience is with driving these speakers with tube amps.

So, what combos have you seen in your lifetime? :unsure:

Thanks, -Jack

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well!

I have been trying to get my first tube amplifier, but want to make sure they can handle the wpc of AR speakers!

I'm trying to decide between the AR-2ax, AR-5, and AR-3a. I would like the AR-3a, but powering the beast is a worry. I've been looking at the Dynaco ST-70, and Fisher model 400, 500-C, and 800-C as possible choices, but wanted to hear what the forum's experience is with driving these speakers with tube amps.

So, what combos have you seen in your lifetime? ;)

Thanks, -Jack

I'm not familiar with the models you mentioned but as a general rule, AR speakers require a large amp and can be difficult to drive. My recommendation would run in the direction of a tube preamp and a solid state amp, which is what I do with my AR90s.

If I recall the ST-70 puts out about 35w per channel which is about the minimum recommendation AR made for the 3a I believe. Probably OK at fairly low volumes. I drove mine with 40wpc for a while and they sounded OK. Drove them with 100 wpc and they were much better, but they really shined at 200wpc.

Good luck,

Bill

Archived