The TSW line and model

Andre

Greetings AR fans. I am new to the site, joined a few days ago, but been reading on this site for quite a while.

In the past, I've owned the 18, the 10pi, and the 91. Presently I've the 18s and just recently acquired a TSW-210-B

I wish I still had my 10pi and the 91, they were great speakers that were bought new in Germany in the late 70s.

Reason for posting is:

when I acquired the TSW-210 version B, it came to my attention that the different versions, although similar, could have had a few difference in their genetic makeup.

According to literature, there are three different versions, the TSW, the TSW-A, and the TSW-B and according to many people who owns them, they all have a woofer foam surround, at least in the original version, but I've never talked with people who owns the B version.

The pair that I've are, the TSW-210 series B with consecutive serial nu. of GS-076952 and GS-076953 with Oak top and bottom plates.

1; The three versions are: original TSW from 1987 to 1989, the A version from 1989 to 1991 and finally the B version from 1991 to 1992

2; The woofer and mid range have a foam surrounds on the original version from 1987 to 1989

3; On the A version, I've no information on the make up

4; On the B version , the one that I've , has a Butyl rubber surround on the woofer. I've opened the enclosure, and the serial nu. on the magnet is, AR P/N: 1-210137-2 6Ω PHIL

As far as I can tell, the enclosure was never opened, and everything seems to be factory installed.

5; For this forum information, the line of TSW appear to have had different components installed with each subsequent version, and one of those component was the butyl rubber surround replacing the foam surround of the earlier version, at least the one from the original to the B version, no info on the A version for now.

Hopefully if somebody has the B version, they will be able to substantiate or dispute these finding.

post-105283-1271630766.jpgpost-105283-1271630553.jpg

Hi Andre and WELCOME!

Hopefully soon, someone here will/might reply with the answers you seek about

the difference in AR's TSW series ( from original to A then B ).

Its quite possible that there was no difference in them?

ken

Hi Andre and WELCOME!

Hopefully soon, someone here will/might reply with the answers you seek about

the difference in AR's TSW series ( from original to A then B ).

Its quite possible that there was no difference in them?

ken

Hi Ken,

Nice talking with you again.

I've found one more person that has this line of AR speakers. This person has a 110 model, a smaller version than mine with foam surround and from the ORIGINAL series of TSW. So again nothing to compare with my version, the B model.

I always found that speakers from the 60s, 70s, and 80s with foam surround are better sounding speakers than the one with butyl rubber surround, to my ear and my preference anyway.

The one that I've, is very nice sounding, but if it did come with the original foam surround, it would be nice to know, and maybe I would try the original foam at a latter date.

If it was converted at one time, the person that did this job is an artist. I've seen re-foam, new butyl rubber, and new re cone jobs, some very bad and some very good to excellent, but you're always able to tell. On mine, I can't tell if it is a new job or just factory installed.

So at the end of the day, you might be and are probably right, the three versions might be only different as in a word, and two letters, and nothing more.

As you mentioned earlier in the other forum, the TSW line might be a sleeper, they appear to be well made with qualities component and excellent at/for Jazz, Classical, Blues, and R&Bs.

I wouldn't mind having your 610, I'd be able to sell my HPM 100.

By the way, if I ever again put my hand on a 10π or some of the 90 series, the HPM are gone...

André

Well.......... another suggestion would be to send Larry @ vintage AR ( on US e-bay ) an email.

He also sells TSW parts, so I'm hoping he might clear a few things up for you?

Anyway, I hope a nice pair of 3ways come your way soon!!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Nice talking with you again.

I've found one more person that has this line of AR speakers. This person has a 110 model, a smaller version than mine with foam surround and from the ORIGINAL series of TSW. So again nothing to compare with my version, the B model.

I always found that speakers from the 60s, 70s, and 80s with foam surround are better sounding speakers than the one with butyl rubber surround, to my ear and my preference anyway.

The one that I've, is very nice sounding, but if it did come with the original foam surround, it would be nice to know, and maybe I would try the original foam at a latter date.

If it was converted at one time, the person that did this job is an artist. I've seen re-foam, new butyl rubber, and new re cone jobs, some very bad and some very good to excellent, but you're always able to tell. On mine, I can't tell if it is a new job or just factory installed.

So at the end of the day, you might be and are probably right, the three versions might be only different as in a word, and two letters, and nothing more.

As you mentioned earlier in the other forum, the TSW line might be a sleeper, they appear to be well made with qualities component and excellent at/for Jazz, Classical, Blues, and R&Bs.

I wouldn't mind having your 610, I'd be able to sell my HPM 100.

By the way, if I ever again put my hand on a 10π or some of the 90 series, the HPM are gone...

André

Archived