AR LST-2

xmas111

Just wondering what you guys think about using this amp to power my LST-2's (My LST-2 from this post AR LST-2)

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAQIN-MC-100B-PushPull...=item1e59587af8

I don't remember the power requirements for the LST-2's and I can't find any documentation on them.

The AR LST-2 are just sitting around and I figured why not give it a shot. Plus I'm curious how they'll sound with a Tube Amp.

This will be a workroom or bedroom setup so I'm not trying to achieve concert hall sound levels.

Thanks,

John

Just wondering what you guys think about using this amp to power my LST-2's (My LST-2 from this post AR LST-2)

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAQIN-MC-100B-PushPull...=item1e59587af8

Hi John

I don't know the YAQIN equipment, but 2 x KT88 tubes per channel, resulting in 60 tube watts in 8 Ohm should be sufficient for a set of LST-2's in my opinion. I have both LST-1 and LST-2's, and the 2's are not as power hungry as the 1's and they are much easier to drive.

Beautiful amp by the way.

BRgds Klaus

Guest bocoogto

I drive my LST-2's with a Pioneer 1014 Receiver. I use the LST-2's for the surround channels and a a single AR-3a for the rear surround (7.1). The Pioneer has plenty of power for the LST'2's. They're ideal surround speakers due to the tweeter aiming in all directions. I drive the rear AR-3a with one channel of a Hafler DH500.

Since the LST-2's are 8 ohm, any fairly powerful amp or receiver will work well with them.

Dick Boneske

Hi John

I don't know the YAQIN equipment, but 2 x KT88 tubes per channel, resulting in 60 tube watts in 8 Ohm should be sufficient for a set of LST-2's in my opinion. I have both LST-1 and LST-2's, and the 2's are not as power hungry as the 1's and they are much easier to drive.

Beautiful amp by the way.

BRgds Klaus

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, thanks guys for the info.

I ordered the amp today and should have it early next week.

I'll report back and let you how it works out.

Thanks,

John

Said I'd report back when I got the amp.....well.....

I received the amp a couple of days ago......I can tell you it's one heavy piece of equipment! And a very quality looking build.

I know they recommend a good break-in period before it really shows it full potential. But overall I'm very impressed so far.

In the Ultra linear mode it has no problem powering the AR LST-2's. Not ear shattering levels like my main setup but it does crank. (My main setup includes AR9's (originals) powered by Carver TFM-45 amps. Each speaker vertically biamped.)

The sound is very rich and seems to have a excellent imaging field. I think for the price it was a great investment.

Still have to get everything setup so it looks good then I'll post a few pics of it.

And as you can imagine it looks pretty cool in the dark with all those tubes glowing.

John

Let me tell you my story about what the LST 2 Likes for power.First off I have a paier of LST 2 in 8-9 out of 10 .THese speakers spend time at a Vancouver audio store having a beberth if you will.Everything is original no mods ,if a driver was in need of work it was fixed , not a cheap reno but a true on,if you are whating what was there in the day.The only thing that was not there for every one was a power amp to match the demands of this speaker ,so o ya you could get them loud and then bang, another tweeter.When you aply power with enough head room so it will never clip then you in business.My choice right now is the Bryston 4b it does just that. I have a new 4bsst very very nice .but normaly i use the 20 yr old one fresh back from the Bryston Hospital .They even gave me the fellows new bench test results.Because as yoy know they are hand built. I must so they are OK with a Sima-W2002 also canadian and hand built.He does the moon stuff now.Try good power,you will be happy you did. cheers cliffe

I ended up setting the Yaqin MC-100B in the kitchen which is beside the room with my main set up. I ran cables from the preamp of my main system over to the Yaqin.

It nice listening to some tunes while sitting at the kitchen table eating.

Overall I'm very happy with the Yaqin. The sound is quite nice and works well with the LST-2's.

I ended up buying some new grills for the LST-2's from the seller "vintage-ar" on the bay. Makes the LST-2's look brand new!

Here's a couple pics of the Yaqin and the LST-2's in the kitchen. You can also see my main setup in the adjoining room.

post-102118-1264345900.jpg

post-102118-1264345885.jpg

post-102118-1264345871.jpg

Archived