Adent Masonite woofer 1974

Guest Jim Collins

Guest Jim Collins

I have an Advent woofer from 1974 that has good foam and sounds great however it has a DCR of 9.9- 10. It seems high to me. Is this a normal reading for this particular woofer. My other Advent( masonite 1969) woofers are in the 4.5 DCR range.

Hi Jim,

No, that's not normal. A normal reading is like your other masonites - around 4.5 ohms.

The high reading would be an indication of the voice coil having been overheated at one time but none of the windings shorting to the next one(s). Although, to me, a doubling of the DCR seems rather drastic without other damage being done.

I would make sure the connections are good at the terminals. Maybe measure directly on the flexible leads to the cone instead of at the terminals to see if the resistance changes.

It still sounds OK because, even at that DCR, the current still flows through the coils and energizes the VC. It would probably show significant differences from a normal woofer in tests.

Evidently, if the overheating thing happened, there was no damage done to the VC former or you would hear scraping noises. :blink:

Doug

Guest Jim Collins

Thank you Doug...another mystery solved here on CSP!

Jim

Hi Jim,

No, that's not normal. A normal reading is like your other masonites - around 4.5 ohms.

The high reading would be an indication of the voice coil having been overheated at one time but none of the windings shorting to the next one(s). Although, to me, a doubling of the DCR seems rather drastic without other damage being done.

I would make sure the connections are good at the terminals. Maybe measure directly on the flexible leads to the cone instead of at the terminals to see if the resistance changes.

It still sounds OK because, even at that DCR, the current still flows through the coils and energizes the VC. It would probably show significant differences from a normal woofer in tests.

Evidently, if the overheating thing happened, there was no damage done to the VC former or you would hear scraping noises. :blink:

Doug

Archived