3a woofer inductor puzzle

Carlspeak

I have a 3a marked s/n AR3a41614. The woofer is marked p/n 200003-1. I measured Re of 2.67 ohms, Le of .742 mH.

The mystery is the coil in series with it. It is clearly marked #8. I measured the inductance at 120 hz and got about 3.0 mH which agrees with the #8 coil spec.

Anybody familiar with 3a's enough to help with this?

Should I leave 'well enough' alone? or, replace with a #9?

Help!

If I had your equipment and supply of spare parts, I probably wouldn't be able to resist trying it both ways and doing some comparative measurements. :lol:

If I had your equipment and supply of spare parts, I probably wouldn't be able to resist trying it both ways and doing some comparative measurements. :)

Sounds intreaguing but I have to have this one restored and out the door by next Monday. The original owner's other 3a has an older round ceramic woofer with a #9 inductor. No serial number on this one.

Sounds intreaguing but I have to have this one restored and out the door by next Monday. The original owner's other 3a has an older round ceramic woofer with a #9 inductor. No serial number on this one.

Since a #9 is 2.85 mH I would be very tempted to leave well enough alone. The 5% increase is inconsequential.

Can't even guess why it would be a different value, but it sounds like a factory running change?

David

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 3a marked s/n AR3a41614. The woofer is marked p/n 200003-1. I measured Re of 2.67 ohms, Le of .742 mH.

The mystery is the coil in series with it. It is clearly marked #8. I measured the inductance at 120 hz and got about 3.0 mH which agrees with the #8 coil spec.

Anybody familiar with 3a's enough to help with this?

Help!

Hi Carl:

Sounds like the line ran out of #9 and grabbed the closest value until more arrived. I sure wouldn't change it. Roy C has measured several coils clearly marked with #9 and found them to vary from 2.7 to as high as 3.2 mH. everything after s.n. about 38,500 should have been #9 to go with foam-surround woofer.

Cheers,

Archived