Best 8 ohm AR?

crunkarelli

What are the best 8 ohm AR speakers?

I know folks love the 4 ohm models (3As, 9s etc), but I can't drive them with a mid-level AVR receiver.

The AR-2ax and the AR-5 are likely to have fans since they are classics. How much better is the AR-5 and in what ways (clarity, bass, highs)?

How do the AR-12s compare? They seem like they might be an updated version of the AR-5?

How about the AR-48s and AR-48Bs? They seem to be updates of the 2ax

Has anyone done side-by-side comparisons of any of these (AR-2AX, AR-5, AR-12, AR-48, AR-48B)?

Lastly, any idea how these would compare to my AR-38s (2-way, 10 inch, early 1980s vintage)?

I bought my first pair of ARs a little over a year ago, with no great expectations - mostly out of curiosity. They are AR-2ax-s (haven't been able to find 3a-s this side of the Atlantic) & I renovated them, with much helpful advice from this forum. I have since bought a pair of AR-5s... but I still haven't started to renovate them, as the 2ax-s have 'taken up residence' & I haven't felt any pressure to replace them. In summary, I have found them to be very good indeed.

Guest Matt Rogers

I am listening to some unrestored AR-5s I picked up today for 25.00 and even unrestored they are one the best sounding speakers I have ever heard and I have owned quite a few from Linn Tukans, Tannoy mini monitors, and Wharfedale Diamonds on the small end to Smaller Advents and DCM Timeframes in larger speakers. I'll put it this way the Smaller Advents are going up on Craigslist and I never thought I'd say that. :lol:

• 3 months later...
Guest freak1942

I know folks love the 4 ohm models (3As, 9s etc), but I can't drive them with a mid-level AVR receiver.

The AR-2ax and the AR-5 are likely to have fans since they are classics. How much better is the AR-5 and in what ways (clarity, bass, highs)?

How do the AR-12s compare? They seem like they might be an updated version of the AR-5?

Has anyone done side-by-side comparisons of any of these (AR-2AX, AR-5, AR-12, AR-48, AR-48B)?

Lastly, any idea how these would compare to my AR-38s (2-way, 10 inch, early 1980s vintage)?

1/2

Use a low voltage Toroid with a winding ratio of pri 1.40 to sec 1.00, equals ratio from 8 to 4 ohm, (8:4 )

Connect the 4 ohm terminals of the toroid to your speakers of 4 ohm.

With an amplifier of 100 Watt, a toroid of 200Watt should be save with some reserve.

The current drive to your speaker lie around 6 to 7 Ampere

Regards freak1942

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have up and running a pair of AR5, 2ax, and AR12. To my ears, the AR5 and 2ax (post 1970 version) are very similar in their sound signature, with the AR5 having a bit more transparency and dispersion in the midrange. The bass quality and quantity of each is pretty indistinguishable from one another. The AR12 is a different animal altogether, with a much crisper top end and more forward midrange, but still providing some damned good acoustic suspension bass that AR is (was) known for. I believe the AR12 was AR's attempt to appeal to the rock music crowd. I enjoy them all, but actually prefer the AR12 at the present time. But, of course, that may change, and probably will.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the AR38/48 series, as I've never heard them. Good luck. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
I currently have up and running a pair of AR5, 2ax, and AR12. To my ears, the AR5 and 2ax (post 1970 version) are very similar in their sound signature, with the AR5 having a bit more transparency and dispersion in the midrange. The bass quality and quantity of each is pretty indistinguishable from one another. The AR12 is a different animal altogether, with a much crisper top end and more forward midrange, but still providing some damned good acoustic suspension bass that AR is (was) known for. I believe the AR12 was AR's attempt to appeal to the rock music crowd. I enjoy them all, but actually prefer the AR12 at the present time. But, of course, that may change, and probably will.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the AR38/48 series, as I've never heard them. Good luck. :-)

The mid and tweeter of the 12 were based on the drivers from the 10pi and 11. I don't know that they were designed as "rock" speakers per sey, but part of the design brief was to improve the power handling and high frequency extension of the drivers. To bring them up to date if you will c 1975. While superficially similar to the 2ax/5/3a, they were in fact newly designed dome drivers featuring the first use of ferofluid to increase the power handling capacity. Your sonic comments are spot on- they sound crisper, with better HF extension, at the expense of the wide dispersion that the earlier drivers were known for. The 12 is a rare speaker for what it is worth.

Best,

Ross

Yes, I've heard some good things about the LST2. Of the more affordable variety, any models stand out? How do the classics (2AX and 5) compare to one another and to later 3-ways (12s 48s etc)?

What do you consider "more affordable?" AR sold an enormous number of 2ax's, and a pair in good shape can often be had for under $200. The other higher model 8 ohm models (5 and LST2) were more expensive and we sold in smaller numbers, making them more expensive used as well.

I listened to 5's vs 2ax's back in 1975 when i bought my 2ax's, The 5's were a little better than the 2ax's, but were a lot more expensive, closer to the 3a's, which is one reason why they sold so few of them.

Archived