AR9 crossover parts verification

mluong303

Hi Cober and other AR9 Owners

I am trying to assemble two AR9 crossovers and wondering if you have the actual AR9 schematic drawing and more close up pictures of your AR9 crossovers taking from different angles of both Hi and Low crossover sections. Cober's pictures shown in his previous post has two #6 coils which on the original AR9 crossover schematic shown only one! How does the second #6 coil hook up to? What is the value of the two parallel blue caps behind the bundle of wires(24uF)? What are the #s on the two single coils on the low section(#13 and #9)? Also one additional silver cap is not shown on the original AR9 crossover schematic!

Does any one know of an available chemical which will help to clean off the glue residue that hold the acoustic blanket to the front baffle without stripping off the black paint?

Thank you in advance for your time and inputs.

Minh Luong

mluong303@aol.com

post-101112-1239363202.jpg

post-101112-1239363233.jpg

post-101112-1239363257.jpg

Guest cober

Hi Minh,

If you look at the AR90 schematic the "extra inductor" used in the AR9 mid-range XO [but not shown in the AR9 library schematic] is shown the same there. The library AR-9 schematic is otherwise complete, although lacking one inductor value.

My pictures included a recapping in progress. There is a 2x12uF in place of the original 24uF. The larger Callins can capacitors having radial leads on the lower XO board are 2500, 470, and 80uF. My picture shows has a 80uF axial lead re-cap sitting on the physically much larger still-in-place original.

I suggest mineral spirits and [steel wool if necessary] for the adhesive removal but I am not familiar with blanket removal.

I recently sold my AR-9s to another forum member so pictures and sonic memory are all I have left.

Good luck.

Thanks to John O'Hanlon, we now have a more readable original crossover schematic but I still waiting for some one to show me where the extra #6(1.37mH) coil and the extra ?? uF cap connected to.

Minh Luong

The #6 inductor, 40 uF cap, and 6 ohm resistor impedance compensate the fundamental

resonance of the upper midrange (UM) driver forming a first order high pass electrical network

with the 24 uF cap at the input. The later additional #6 inductor looks to be directly across

the UM and would form a second order network with the 24 uF cap to provide a sharper rolloff

of LF drive to the upper midrange.

Here is where the extra #6 (1.37 mH ) coil connected to.

Happy Easter Everyone,

Minh Luong

Hi Minh,

I don't have a pair here, so I'm just going from the picture but it looks to

be directly across the driver (or across the 8uF), which is another valid position

to make it a 2nd order XO. Perhaps someone will comment or there might be

more pictures in past posts.

Yes, Happy Easter to those celebrating today!

Hi Minh,

I don't have a pair here, so I'm just going from the picture but it looks to

be directly across the driver (or across the 8uF), which is another valid position

to make it a 2nd order XO. Perhaps someone will comment or there might be

more pictures in past posts.

The top wire of the extra 1.37-mH coil is connected to the tie point common to the 24-uF cap and the 0.2-mH coil, as is clearly visible in the photo Minh posted earlier. The bottom coil wire is connected to the common. The coil in Minh's photo is connected as he has described in the schematic.

Cheers,

John

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the process up refreshing and upgrading my AR9s. I never fully trust the printed schematics as manufacturers do change specs now and again, so when I took out my XOs, I mapped and measured. Like you I found some additional components than expected. The attached drawing is the actual schema and my multimeter measured values - hope it helps....!

Actual_AR9_crossover_circuit.pdf

Thank you Ken, I will keep you posted when my AR9 crossovers are assembled and installed...

My original pair of AR9 speakers in the mid '90. Size does matter for this particular model. Look at the 470uF electrolytic capacitor, it is as big as a 12fl_oz can of Coke. Scary to say the least!

Minh Luong

post-101112-1241720783.jpg

post-101112-1241720844.jpg

Archived