AR amplifier by Cambridge Audio...?

genek

Almost 100 posts and nobody knows anything about it...anybody?

I don't know anything about it but frankly it looks to me like the chapter you missed was just as well missed! :wacko:

I don't know anything about it but frankly it looks to me like the chapter you missed was just as well missed! :wacko:

It's really got my curiosity up. With no visible vents on the case (though the bottom isn't shown), how much power could something that size produce?

Anybody seen this before? I think there's a whole chapter of AR history that I've missed...

Hello,

I have one of these amplifiers and I audition and enjoy it, from time to time (though generally I prefer to use more energy efficient amplification). There appears to have been some design variation during the production time-span: I've seen some examples with 5-Pin DIN sockets, and some with all RCA. Also, mine has 2 toroidal transformers, whereas the handfull of others that I have seen use a single toroidal transformer.

Whilst trying to find some more information regarding the history of this device, I found the following snippets, though I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information:

"This amplifier was made by Cambridge Audio in 1984-85 and was a specially badged version of the Cambridge P35 amplifier. Only about 800 were ever made. It was rated at 35 watts per channel but gave out about 50 watts per channel."

"AR integrated amp with built in phono stage. I have never seen another one and know little about it, I found out that it was a P35 by surfing the net (it doesn't say P35 on the unit itself but it's on one of the circuit boards). The construction is very good, having a well engineered metal case and wooden end panels. I strongly believe that this amp came before the superb and acclaimed P60 as it's internal construction is almost like a prototype (very Heath Robinson). It features 35 watts into 8 ohms, has torroidal type transformer, is Mosfet and utilizes Din type inputs rather than phono."

The specifications, as published in the AR UK Extended Research Brochure, are as follows:

Power Output - per channel

• Continuous sinewave 20Hz - 20kHz into 8 ohms...................45 watts

• IHF Burst Power into 8 ohms....................................................70 watts

• Total Harmonic Distortion @ 3kHz @ 35w/8ohms.................0.06%

Tone Controls - passive design

• Bass Control..................................................+/- 5db at 50Hz

• Treble Control................................................+/- 5db at 15kHz

Input Sensitivities and noise - All figures refer to an output level of 35w into 8 ohms. Noise figures are CCIR/ARM weighted

Disc moving magnet

• Sensitivity.......................................................3mv

• Input impedence............................................50Kohm + 150pF

• Noise..............................................................-80dB

Disc moving coil

• Sensitivity.......................................................0.2mv

• Noise..............................................................-73dB

CD, Radio, Tape

• Sensitivity.......................................................150mv

• Input impedence............................................10Kohm

• Noise..............................................................-80dB

Dimensions