Substitute Tweeters for Advent 5002/5012's

Guest tsargent

Guest tsargent

I was thinking there has to be a substitute tweeter the will work as somewhat direct replacements in the Advent 5002. I can get the 25th Anniversary versions for $69 bucks each, but isn't there a newer, better, less expensive tweeter that will work?

What about North D25-06S tweeters or Hi-Vi Q1R fabric dome tweeters?

Thanks.

Tad

I was thinking there has to be a substitute tweeter the will work as somewhat direct replacements in the Advent 5002. I can get the 25th Anniversary versions for $69 bucks each, but isn't there a newer, better, less expensive tweeter that will work?

What about North D25-06S tweeters or Hi-Vi Q1R fabric dome tweeters?

Thanks.

Tad

I measured a pair of tweeters from the 5002s here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=4589

Most important is to match Fc, Rdc (you could add a small resistor in series

to get a closer match on Rdc, and 2.83 volt sensitivity. Qtc should be at least

close when Fc is close to the crossover freq, less important if Fc is far below

the XO point. Then also you want a smooth or matching HF response. A

tweeter with tinsel lead in wires should be used if you plan to push the speakers

hard.

I'd probably pick the K1 from HiVi and add a small series resistance but the

Q1R should also work. The North is also a good tweeter and from memory

the specs are probably close enough, might need a series resistor.

Guest tsargent
I measured a pair of tweeters from the 5002s here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=4589

Most important is to match Fc, Rdc (you could add a small resistor in series

to get a closer match on Rdc, and 2.83 volt sensitivity. Qtc should be at least

close when Fc is close to the crossover freq, less important if Fc is far below

the XO point. Then also you want a smooth or matching HF response. A

tweeter with tinsel lead in wires should be used if you plan to push the speakers

hard.

I'd probably pick the K1 from HiVi and add a small series resistance but the

Q1R should also work. The North is also a good tweeter and from memory

the specs are probably close enough, might need a series resistor.

Thanks! I am putting in an order for the Q1R. What spec resistors should I add to the order?

http://www.parts-express.com/resistors-index.cfm

Thanks! I am putting in an order for the Q1R. What spec resistors should I add to the order?

http://www.parts-express.com/resistors-index.cfm

Rdc of the Q1R is 5.3 ohms, which is fine as is compared to the 5002 tweeter value,

no resistor needed.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=83510

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tsargent
Rdc of the Q1R is 5.3 ohms, which is fine as is compared to the 5002 tweeter value,

no resistor needed.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=83510

I received my Q1R tweeters and installed them over the weekend. The new tweeters work great and sound much better than the originals. A very pleasing natural sound.

Mounting was fairly easy. The new tweeter flange was not quite large enough to cover the retangular tweeter hole in the speaker cabinet. I removed the actual tweeters off the Advent 5002 retangular tweeter mounting plate. Using a scroll saw I cut larger holes in the Advent tweeter plates and mounted the new tweeters. I used Goop to secure and seal the new tweeters/flanges on the old advent plates. To mount I screwed the plates back on the cabinet using the (4) original tweeter screw holes.

If you have Advent 5002's and want to kick the performance up a couple notches then get a couple Q1R tweeters. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help with the speaker choice.

I received my Q1R tweeters and installed them over the weekend. The new tweeters work great and sound much better than the originals. A very pleasing natural sound.

Mounting was fairly easy. The new tweeter flange was not quite large enough to cover the retangular tweeter hole in the speaker cabinet. I removed the actual tweeters off the Advent 5002 retangular tweeter mounting plate. Using a scroll saw I cut larger holes in the Advent tweeter plates and mounted the new tweeters. I used Goop to secure and seal the new tweeters/flanges on the old advent plates. To mount I screwed the plates back on the cabinet using the (4) original tweeter screw holes.

If you have Advent 5002's and want to kick the performance up a couple notches then get a couple Q1R tweeters. :)

Thanks for the help with the speaker choice.

Good to hear it all worked for you!

• 11 years later...

Resurrecting this ancient thread because I have the same need. 

Am considering getting the Q1R at $15 a pop plus shipping vs the re-issue from Midwest Speakers for $60 a pop plus $11 shipping. 

My main concern is that the power handling of the Q1R is peak 30 Watts while the original is something like 75 rms and 125 peak.

I like my music loud, which is probably why I'm replacing the tweeters, so the low rating seems like a problem to me.

Is it?  

• 4 weeks later...

Power ratings with speaker drivers are mostly wishful thinking.  It is really very simple a 1" voice coil

wound on an aluminum former typical of a tweeter is most often good for about 10W RMS perhaps

15W with ferro fluid due to thermal heating.  The average power in music is much lower than the peak

so many companies rate in system "Music" power.  It is all a ratings game.

The other limit is displacement at the lower end of the spectrum for the driver, you want tinsel lead in

wires with a tweeter that is driven hard at the lower end of the spectrum and an overall "good" design

so that the wires do not break.  You have determined that the Advent Tweeter fails under your use

condition, might as well try the Q1R and let us know how it goes.